cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

450 4.7.1 <hostname>: Helo command rejected: Host not found

Jump to solution

Hello,

we use MEG 7.5.2 and we can not send mails to one customer, because the mail stays at the MEG queue with the information at the conversation log "450 4.7.1 <meghostname.local>: Helo command rejected: Host not found".

It looks that the customer mail server does not accept the MEG hostname at the EHLO command. At the message conversation the FQDN of our MEG is used.

That's the conversation log:

Tue Mar 25 2014 09:16:08     DELIVERY         Delivery Attempt at Tue Mar 25 2014 09:16:07 GMT+0100

Tue Mar 25 2014 09:16:08     DELIVERY         Performing delivery lookup for xxxx.xxxx@xxxx.de

Tue Mar 25 2014 09:16:08     DELIVERY         Delivery lookup for xxxx.xxxx@xxxx.de resulted in 188.174.xx.xx:25

Tue Mar 25 2014 09:16:08     DELIVERY         Delivery lookup successful, initiating delivery

Tue Mar 25 2014 09:16:08     DELIVERY         Trying to connect 188.174.xx.xx

Tue Mar 25 2014 09:16:08     DELIVERY         Connection successful

Tue Mar 25 2014 09:16:08     DELIVERY     >     EHLO meghostname.local

Tue Mar 25 2014 09:16:08     DELIVERY     <     250 mail.xxxx.net|PIPELINING|SIZE 81920000|VRFY|ETRN|ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES|8BITMIME|DSN

Tue Mar 25 2014 09:16:08     DELIVERY     >     MAIL FROM:<xxx.xxxx@xxxx.net>

Tue Mar 25 2014 09:16:08     DELIVERY     <     250 2.1.0 Ok

Tue Mar 25 2014 09:16:08     DELIVERY     >     RCPT TO:<xxxx.xxxx@xxxx.de>

Tue Mar 25 2014 09:16:09     DELIVERY     <     450 4.7.1 <meghostname.local>: Helo command rejected: Host not found

What is the reason that this particular mail server not accept this?

Why the MEG uses the local hostname and not the pubilc name for the HELO? I set the public DNS name at the welcome massage option.

Nachricht geändert durch danielsch on 25.03.14 04:04:05 CDT
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: 450 4.7.1 <hostname>: Helo command rejected: Host not found

Jump to solution

Hi danielsch

The ehlo response is different than the 220 banner/welcome message.  If you need to modify the ehlo response, please follow the instructions in the follwong KB:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB77131

if you do not want to go through the extraction of the backup and reimport it, you can call into support and we can edit the file directly through SSH.  Let me know if that clarifies things for you.  Thanks.

--Jake

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Jump to solution

After I checked all the options that the MEG offer, I only found the following way to get the MEG running with the use of the PTR name for the HELO.

We use the MEG in "Explicit Proxy" mode. At "Email | Email Configuration | Protocol Configuration | Protocol Settings (SMTP)"

you can set at the "Message processing" and "Transparency options (router and bridge mode only)" options the name that will be used for the SMTP communication. The

"Message processing" works for receiving messages but not when sending.

For sending mails only the hostname set under "System | Appliance Management | General | Basic Settings" is used for the HELO command.

Maybe someone can tell my, why the "Enforce RFC compliant EHLO / HELO" are not working/possible for the "Explicit Proxy" mode.

Is there really no other way to force the MEG in Explicit Proxy mode to use not the hostname for the EHLO?

Jump to solution

Hi danielsch,

In order to use a hostname on the EHLO part of the SMTP transaction you need to tell MEG to do so, this is done on the Virtual Hosting section (part of the System dashboard section).

Edit the Outbound Address Pool and you will find where the option can bem changed.

Hope this helps.

Jump to solution

Hi Marcelo,

I kept our MEG configuration simple and don't used the Virtual Hosting. I will test this options with our second appliance the next days.

@Jake, I will also test your instruction.

Daniel

Jump to solution

Hi,

I got this problem solved with the KB77131 solution to edit the smtp-config.xml.

Now the appliances using the EHLO name correct.

Thank you Jake

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi danielsch

The ehlo response is different than the 220 banner/welcome message.  If you need to modify the ehlo response, please follow the instructions in the follwong KB:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB77131

if you do not want to go through the extraction of the backup and reimport it, you can call into support and we can edit the file directly through SSH.  Let me know if that clarifies things for you.  Thanks.

--Jake

View solution in original post

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community