cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ePO Endpoint Deployment Kit 9.6.1 - Enterprise Edition

UPDATE:

Version 9.6.1 - 08/08/2016

Inhibited entry of comma in description field due to a ePO bug that splits it into 2 packages.

Fixed issue with overwriting of package if it already exists.

UPDATE:

Version 9.6.0.

Updated to .NET 4.5.

Removed third-party DotNetZip Library, replaced with native .NET 4.5 functions.

Removed third-party HTTPUploadHelper for MultipartFormData processing, replaced with native .NET 4.5 functions.

Changed background color of dialogs.

UPDATE:

Version 9.2.5.  Updated error handling for product detecion key parsing.

UPDATE:

Version 9.2.4.  This version set default values for the product detection key and product detection value.

I am very pleased to post the Community Edition of the ePO Endpoint Deployment Kit (EEDK).  This tool is designed to allow ePO  users to build and deploy their own custom software packages using ePO. This can included other software, hotfixes, scripts etc.  Inside the attached .zip files we have included a Product Guide along with  examples of building your own software packages.  If you have any question please use this community site for support.

UPDATE:

Version 9.4.  This version adds Windows 8 and Windows 2012 platform support.

UPDATE:

Version 9.5.2  This version adds Windows 10 platform support.

UPDATE:

Providing Enterprise Edition to the community. This will be the only version maintained going forward.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
Attachments
Comments

When the ePO team tells me what OS string they want to use that the agent can understand, i can add it to EEDK easily.

You can edit a config file in the appdata folder and add it manally too, and it should magically appear in the GUI.

But when I get word what the values should actually be I'll release another build.

I have found a weird behavior when deploying any tool created by this utility.  Just wanted to see if anyone else can observer the behavior.  We has a utility that basically does some wmi and registry key queries and outputs the results to another area of the registry.  The tool that we created was bundled with this utility and deployed no problems.  We have found that after we deploy the tool through EPO the system checks for a dat file update.  Normally this would be a big deal but since we have very strict updating times on many devices this has caused some alarms and issues to be reported to us.  We have verified that when we disable the deployment of the tool the dat file check after no longer runs at that time and instead updates at its scheduled time only.  There is nothing in the script itself that would initiate a dat checkin.  We have the deployment task of our tool execute everytime a computer checks in, and along with the system tries to look for a new dat file everytime the computer checks in. 

I have disabled all dat file update task to confirm this behavior also.

Yes, you are correct. By default when an EEDK package is deployed a One-click update is performed. I believe it is possible to prevent this from running by returning the correct exit code. Let me check on that for you.

If you do not want the agent to perform the update then you have to pass back a non 0 return code.  Commonly 1 or 2 are used.  This will result in the agent thinking that the "installation failed" and this will be reflected in the Agent log.  This is a hardcoded feature in the agent and this is the only work around i have at the moment.  In, addition, if you pass back an 3010 the agent will interpret this as "reboot required" and will prompt the user if your agent policy is configured for end user prompting.

Need some help here...

I am using the following in batch script to disable the Windows Remote management services:

pushd "%~dp0"

%comspec% /C "winrm delete winrm/config/listener?address=*+transport=HTTP"

%comspec% /C "sc.exe stop winrm"

%comspec% /C "sc.exe config winrm start= demand"

popd

exit /B /411

The commands seem to works, but the task continues to fail with in EPO.

I am not sure what i am missing here, so any help would be great.

Thanks

do I need to keep the %comspec% /c in there to run the commands or will it interpret the code either way?

I am really not a batch scripter, so a lot of this is greek to me.

Any non "0" return code will be treated as an install failure and the Agent will report "Installiton failed" regardless of whether your script successfully executes or not.  If you exit with "0" it will report back "Install succeeded" and then trigger an update. 

I commonly  test with a "0" exit code.  Then once the script is working as designed I swith to a "1" exit code so as not to trigger and update at the agent after execution.

Is that EXIT command correct? I think the task will fail if you return anything other then errorlevel 0.

Yes,  that exit code is incorrect if you want the agent to return "Installation Sucessful"

Batch scripting is ancient history!

But no, you don't really need %comspec% /c, and you can also do without pushd and popd commands.

so i got rid of the exit code, but it is still kicking off an update after the install and showing as "Failed" when the task completes.

have you had any luck using powershell scripts through the eedk?

I've only played with the EEDK once and that was with a CMD file that logged an event and started a VBScript. We have a fair amount of systems that do not have powershell installed.

So i created an exe file that is working well, but i am still having an issue when it exits.  Any ideas?

Can you provide more details?  Snippet of failure from agent log., current script and your .eedk file contents.

Thge pushd statement is there so that the script set the proper path information when it executes.  The McAfee ggent changes its current working directory when it runs the instalaltion command. 

Don't think you need to pushd, as there's nothing te execute in the same location as the batch script.

Now that i have changed it to an exe, is there any way to stop it from saying "Failed" when running the task?

Hi Torry,

Great tool.  It's reallly close to what I need.

I agree with another poster back in May that it doesn't include all of the Windows OS versions.  I really need to set it to allow for XP Embedded (WXPE).  Could you add XP Embedded as an option?

Or perhaps an XML file to keep a list of all of the OS types that the EEDK displays.  Then we could just manually add another as ePO begins to detect new versions.  Personally, I'm waiting for a new McAfee Agent to support Windows 7 Embedded now that VirusScan 8.8 patch 2 now supports it.

Paul

Actually reading eelsasser's post, I edited both my settings file and my user.xml for EEDK in appdata.  Added WXPE to both the Windows XP and Windows all versions.  Now it built properly and checked into ePO.  A little bit of a kludge until WXPE can be added to EEDK by default, but I think this should all work now.

Paul

Cert_install_Err.GIF

Hello Torry,

How are you? i hope that you are doing well.

I am trying to use your kit to install a root ca on systems, but the installation failed as you can see from the attached snapshot.

During Pkg creation, I have added the certificate file and on the command prompt set it to "certutil -addstore root Fortinet_CA_SSLProxy.cer".

I have uploaded the Pkg to the repository and run a quick deployemt task on win 2008 server, but it did not work.

I have raised debug level to 8 , but no meaningfull info on the agent log file.

Any idea ?

Thanks a lot

Yossi Mor

Hello,

Any idea why installation of root ca had failed ?

I canwt publish the certificate other way because it is not a domain enviroment.

Regards,

Yossi Mor

does this work with 4.5?  I followed the step-by-step for the McAfee stinger deploy that was in the zip and it hasn't done a thing...

Why build an ePO Stinger when it's *Now* available for download as an ePO package on a daily basis 😉

http://www.mcafee.com/us/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx

Can this Stinger and GetSusp be made available in the Software Manager?

Easy to get the updates downloaded and managed?

Hello,

This tool is realy something what was missing in EPO an solves a lot of our issues.

When can we expect a new version of this tool that supports :

* windows 8 en server 12

* will this tool support EPO 5.0 and higher ?

* error handling correctly so reporting to EPO server as installed correctly without the "one click update"

Working on deploying a bat file using EEDK but with no success:

@ECHO OFF

RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 8

Exit /B 0

ePO will deploy/deliver the bat file with success but will not execute bat file. 

Any thoughts?

TIA

Remember that the script is run as SYSTEM because it is the McAfee Agent service launcing the script.

Here is a BAT/CMD file I use to wrap the commandline you want to execute. Change the underlined command.

I have made a document about how I build EEDK package for McAfee Profiler. https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3891

@echo off

:: Get number of input parameters

set argC=0

for %%x in (%*) do Set /A argC+=1

:: Stuart Avery McAfee, Inc. 2011

:: ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

:: Confirm x86 Architecture and exit if not found

If %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% == x86 (

GOTO START

) ELSE (

Exit /B 1

)

:START

:: Torry Campbell McAfee, Inc. 2011

:: ################################################

:: Set environment to current product folder

pushd "%~dp0"

:: Get software package source directory and set as variable SRCDIR

SET SRCDIR=

for /f "delims=" %%a in ('cd') do @set SRCDIR=%%a

%comspec% /c %systemroot%\system32\msiexec.exe /i "%SRCDIR%\McProfilerSetup.msi" /quiet

goto EOF

:: Exit and pass proper exit to agent

:EOF

Exit /B 0

Replaced : %comspec% /c %systemroot%\system32\msiexec.exe /i "%SRCDIR%\McProfilerSetup.msi" /quiet

with the following:

del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\" /S /F /Q

RD "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\" /S /Q

MD "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"

Built package with eedk with the "command to run: cleanup.bat"

Still nothing...

%userprofile% is surely not referring to what you expect it to be since the script will be running under the SYSTEM account.

Removed the following:

del "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\" /S /F /Q

RD "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\" /S /Q

MD "%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5"

Batch file now looks like:

@echo off

:: Get number of input parameters

set argC=0

for %%x in (%*) do Set /A argC+=1

:: Stuart Avery McAfee, Inc. 2011

:: Confirm x86 Architecture and exit if not found

If %PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE% == x86 (

GOTO START

) ELSE (

Exit /B 1

)

:START

:: Torry Campbell McAfee, Inc. 2011

:: Set environment to current product folder

pushd "%~dp0"

:: Get software package source directory and set as variable SRCDIR

SET SRCDIR=

goto EOF

:: Exit and pass proper exit to agent

:EOF

Exit /B 0

Still doesn't work...

Had to scrap the whole script/batch file.  Just didn't work with EEDK.  But I did find the following utility: CleanUp! that I was able to deploy/run (/AutoRun switch).  Better then nothing.  But it would have been nicer to have the ability to deploy the following commands:

Delete Temporary Internet Files

Delete Cookies

RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 2

Delete History

RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 1

The above commands do come in handy when addressing a virus.

It is because McAfee Agent is launching the Script as a SYSTEM account.

You should be able to copy the script to a folder and add the script to the RunOnce registry key, so I will be executed by the user who login.

Does anyone know: we have upgraded to ePO 4.6.4 and I just found out my custom EEDK packages were missing in the master repository

is this a "side effect" of an upgrade ??

jj4sec wrote:

Hello,

This tool is realy something what was missing in EPO an solves a lot of our issues.

When can we expect a new version of this tool that supports :

* windows 8 en server 12

I would like to echo this question.  We're starting selective Win8 deployments and the packages we have all error with the OS 6.2 not being supported.

I must be doing something wrong here..  Every deployment I create and send, always fails.

Creating the world's simplest bat file called epo-testsuccess.bat, it only contains:

Exit /B 0

Now my EEDK settings looks like:

Product name:  TESTSUCC

Product ID: 1000

Product Version: 1.0.0.3

Product Description: Test Success with EEDK

Command to run: epo-testsuccess.bat

Product Detection Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Network Associates\ePolicy Orchestrator\Agent

Product Detection Key Value: AgentGUID

OS Support: (all of the default Windows options)

I figured on detecting on the McAfee agent's guid, since this is a do-nothing and it would be guarenteed to be there.

If I deploy it to an agent, ePO reports that it fails.

Thoughts??  Is there a way to know why epo 4.6 thought it failed?

Paul

If you use Run Client Task Now from ePO. You will get a deployment failed even if the EEDK package was success full deployed and run. So you can not "trust" that response.

Read the PDF in this McProfiler Package I created. https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-3891

Yep, that's what I'm doing.  Do we have any idea why it always fails?  The deployment task it sends is 1 deployment containing 2 products.  Both do create EventId=2411 (Deployment Successful).  I have the same issue even if the deployment task only had 1 package being deployed.

Funny, no matter what custom deployment I send, it also always seems to kick off a one-click update in the end.  Odd.  Wonder if that's an EEDK thing, or nature of sending a Run Task Now.

What I'm doing is externally setting CustomProps1 to trigger ePO to deploy a package to a client.  I use a scheduled query to detect a value in CustomProps1, then initiate a Run Client Task Now + Get Full Props.  The get full props is to clear out the CustomProps1 in the database, since the client doesn't have the value in the registry.

Paul

Torry, do you have some guidance on how I might be able to do that.  i have a bunch of utilities I wrote that basically run vbscripts in self executing exe format.  Works great, but would really like it not to cause a reboot.

Sorry,  i found it under the advanced tab.  Doesnt seem to work.  I put a 1 on the reboot return code and it still looks for it .  I am also working on testing some Windows 8 codes to see if that works.  Any word on this?

Hi,

Can you guys please help me for how to build McAfee agent package using EEDK?

Thanks in advance

Possible

What is your need?

When you download the package and extract it you will find a few PDF documents that provide a good overview and some example use cases.

McAfee ePO Endpoint Deployment Kit 9.2 Product Guide.pdf

Using the ePO Endpoint Deployment Kit - MBSA.pdf  (Page 5 of this document provides some good starter syntax for a helper BAT script to launch other packaged executables)

Using the ePO Endpoint Deployment Kit - Stinger Scan.pdf

Sorry to jump in here but I have a question.

I'm trying to deploy a package created in EEDK and the client task fails. The package seems to have all the necessary components and builds successfully in EEDK. Just fails as a client task.

The msi will run however through the command line so my syntax may be ok.

I was wondering if anyone with a better grasp of the EEDK product could help me.

I'll be happy to provide any details and answer any questions.

Thank you.

psanborn

Are you running a batch file around the msi to invoke it with all the command line parameters?

If not, do that using a batch file like the one posted above.

Does your MSI actually install and the client task just says it fails? It's probably the fact that the installer didn't Exit 0 at the end. It may not be an error, it may be some alternate informational exit code.

You can also ad some debug logging to the msiexec command that can give you more verbosity on the install logs to tell you more information.

Be sure to use the BAT/CMD wrapper and make sure that it will run silent.

Also the McAfee Agent will launche the EEDK package as SYSTEM account and there can be no user interaction with the process.

You can verify that the script is working running with SYSTEM account if you try to run it as a scheduled command local on the system

Fixed the Windows 8 not being supported in this tool.  Maybe the creator can add this to the next version.  Pretty easy to fix.  just had to add the product code from the error you would see in the logs of one of the agents.  To add the support for Windows 8 there is a user.config file under your profile located under C:\Users\**\AppData\Local\McAfee\EEDK.exe_Url_jhvgrhr2ztj1ocmi4xjptctirovqtltp\9.2.0.5 .  Edit the file and replace the contents with the the information below.  For the person with the need to push to xp embedded,  please send the error you get when trying to push to that machine,  it should say product conflict and give some OS information after.  I should be able to add that as well.  Let em know if it works for you guys.  If people would like support for Windows 2012 server, please also send me the product conflict error from the device so i can add.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------  Copy information below this line ----------------------------------------------------------

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<configuration>

<configSections>

<sectionGroup name="userSettings" type="System.Configuration.UserSettingsGroup, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" >

<section name="ePO.Endpoint.Deployment.Kit.Properties.Settings" type="System.Configuration.ClientSettingsSection, System, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089" allowExeDefinition="MachineToLocalUser" requirePermission="false" />

</sectionGroup>

</configSections>

<userSettings>

<ePO.Endpoint.Deployment.Kit.Properties.Settings>

<setting name="File" serializeAs="String">

<value>True</value>

</setting>

<setting name="Folder" serializeAs="String">

<value>False</value>

</setting>

<setting name="BuildFolder" serializeAs="String">

<value>C:\</value>

</setting>

<setting name="ePOProxy" serializeAs="String">

<value>False</value>

</setting>

<setting name="Advanced" serializeAs="String">

<value>True</value>

</setting>

<setting name="LocationKey" serializeAs="String">

<value>HKLM\Software\McAfee\EEDK</value>

</setting>

<setting name="DetectionValue" serializeAs="String">

<value>EEDK</value>

</setting>

<setting name="InstallCommand" serializeAs="String">

<value></value>

</setting>

<setting name="ePOPackage" serializeAs="String">

<value></value>

</setting>

<setting name="ProductVersion" serializeAs="String">

<value></value>

</setting>

<setting name="ProductDescription" serializeAs="String">

<value></value>

</setting>

<setting name="UninstallCommand" serializeAs="String">

<value />

</setting>

<setting name="RebootReturnCode" serializeAs="String">

<value>4</value>

</setting>

<setting name="SourcePackages" serializeAs="String">

<value></value>

</setting>

<setting name="SaveSettingsOnExit" serializeAs="String">

<value>True</value>

</setting>

<setting name="DetectionKey" serializeAs="String">

<value>HKLM\Software\McAfee\EEDK</value>

</setting>

<setting name="ProductID" serializeAs="String">

<value>0000</value>

</setting>

<setting name="ProductName" serializeAs="String">

<value></value>

</setting>

<setting name="LocationValue" serializeAs="String">

<value>EEDK</value>

</setting>

<setting name="Standard" serializeAs="String">

<value>False</value>

</setting>

<setting name="OSTypes" serializeAs="String">

<value>&lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?&gt;

&lt;OSTypes&gt;

&lt;OSType&gt;

&lt;Name&gt;Windows (All Versions)&lt;/Name&gt;

&lt;Type&gt;W2KW|WXPHE|WXPW|WVST|WNT7W|WIN8W|W2KS|W2KAS|W2KDC|WXPS|WVSTS&lt;/Type&gt;

&lt;Selected&gt;true&lt;/Selected&gt;

&lt;/OSType&gt;

&lt;OSType&gt;

&lt;Name&gt;Windows 2000 Workstation&lt;/Name&gt;

&lt;Type&gt;W2KW&lt;/Type&gt;

&lt;/OSType&gt;

&lt;OSType&gt;

&lt;Name&gt;Windows XP&lt;/Name&gt;

&lt;Type&gt;WXPHE|WXPW&lt;/Type&gt;

&lt;/OSType&gt;

&lt;OSType&gt;

&lt;Name&gt;Windows Vista&lt;/Name&gt;

&lt;Type&gt;WVST&lt;/Type&gt;

&lt;/OSType&gt;

&lt;OSType&gt;

&lt;Name&gt;Windows 7&lt;/Name&gt;

&lt;Type&gt;WNT7W&lt;/Type&gt;

&lt;/OSType&gt;

&lt;OSType&gt;

&lt;Name&gt;Windows 8&lt;/Name&gt;

&lt;Type&gt;WIN8W&lt;/Type&gt;

&lt;/OSType&gt;

&lt;OSType&gt;

&lt;Name&gt;Windows 2000 Server&lt;/Name&gt;

&lt;Type&gt;W2KS|W2KAS|W2KDC&lt;/Type&gt;

&lt;/OSType&gt;

&lt;OSType&gt;

&lt;Name&gt;Windows 2003 Server&lt;/Name&gt;

&lt;Type&gt;WXPS&lt;/Type&gt;

&lt;/OSType&gt;

&lt;OSType&gt;

&lt;Name&gt;Windows 2008 Server&lt;/Name&gt;

&lt;Type&gt;WVSTS&lt;/Type&gt;

&lt;/OSType&gt;

&lt;OSType&gt;

&lt;Name&gt;Macintosh&lt;/Name&gt;

&lt;Type&gt;MAC&lt;/Type&gt;

&lt;Selected&gt;false&lt;/Selected&gt;

&lt;/OSType&gt;

&lt;OSType&gt;

&lt;Name&gt;Linux&lt;/Name&gt;

&lt;Type&gt;LINUX&lt;/Type&gt;

&lt;/OSType&gt;

&lt;OSType&gt;

&lt;Name&gt;AIX&lt;/Name&gt;

&lt;Type&gt;AIX&lt;/Type&gt;

&lt;/OSType&gt;

&lt;OSType&gt;

&lt;Name&gt;HP-UX&lt;/Name&gt;

&lt;Type&gt;HPUX|HPIA&lt;/Type&gt;

&lt;/OSType&gt;

&lt;OSType&gt;

&lt;Name&gt;Solaris&lt;/Name&gt;

&lt;Type&gt;SLR&lt;/Type&gt;

&lt;/OSType&gt;

&lt;/OSTypes&gt;</value>

</setting>

<setting name="ePOTimeout" serializeAs="String">

<value>10</value>

</setting>

</ePO.Endpoint.Deployment.Kit.Properties.Settings>

</userSettings>

</configuration>

Here are my steps when preparing to deploy a new package:

Perquisites:

• EEDK
  • Psexec.exe  (Sysinternals Tool)
  • Software Package(s)
  • Scripts(s)

On my test target system I have psexec.exe, software and scripts.  I run “psexec.exe –s cmd.exe” to launch a CMDshell as the system user.  This ensuresthat I can test my installation as the “SYSTEM” user not as the user I logged intothe test system with.  This will be thesame environment in which the agent runs. This is important for several reasons. The system account does not have access to user specific registrysettings as they are unique to the logged in user.  The System account cannot access network resources,except configured null shares or via alternative credentials embedded in ascript, like an FTP account.  I also usethis to test the silent install of my software. As the McAfee Agent runs non-interactively, your package will fail if there is any required user input.

Once my commands and environment are tested I then beginscript testing.  Using a helper script isuseful in many ways.  It allows you to specifycritical path information, like the current directory for the package, returnthe proper exit codes to the McAfee Agent, and embed other installation logic intothe package.  With MSI specifically theydo not return 0 for a success installation. They can return multiple code for asuccessful install depending on the package (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa372835(v=vs.85).aspx)

The McAfee Agent expects either a “0” or “3010” for a successfulinstallation, any other number is interpreted as a failed installation.  “0” means the install was successful and “3010”means the installation was success and a reboot is required.  If your agent policy is configure to show areboot prompt then this will be triggered.

Here is an example of a MSI install helper script.  Edit the <YOURMSIFILE> and buildaccording to the product documentation.

:: Torry Campbell McAfee, Inc.

:: Script to call silent install for msi

@echo off

:: Get directory of current package

pushd "%~dp0"

:: Launch msi silently and wait for it to complete

start /B /Wait msiexec.exe  /i  "%SRCDIR%\<YOURMSIFILE>"/quiet

::Pass success return code to McAfee agent

exit 0

I build a package to install the Java Run Time on my clients.

On a 32Bit Windows 7 it works fine, but the same package run in to an error on 64 Bit  Windows 7. I test the installation via a local command line and this installation woks also fine.

I used the standalon file and the commandline

jre-7u25-windows-i586.exe /s /L*v c:\javalog.log

I also tried to start the installation via a batchfile, the sme error occured.

Are there any know issue between 32Bit and 64Bit Windows Clients?

This thread has been of great use to me. However I have one question, could I in theory use eedk to run a .reg file to make changes to the registry?

Many Thanks, Stuart

Yes you can. If the can do it in a script (.BAT / .CMD) file or even VBScript and then you can do it with an EEDK package.

Remember that the EEDK package will run local with SYSTEM account and that needs to have access to the registry you want to touch.

Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
2 of 2
Last update:
‎09-26-2019 02:38 PM
Updated by:

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community