cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opal Support FAQ

General Q&A for Opal

Please refer to the refreshed KB article which is the single source of updates for this OPAL FAQ for MDE 7.1.x moving forward https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB79784#Opal_Drives

Comments

Fantastic article Anthony! Thanks for making everything so clear.

This is a rather old document. Anything new which needs to be understood regarding EEPC and OPAL drives?

Hi, I'm in the process of reviewing the content for this.  I hope to complete this within the next 7-10 days. HTH

I'm in the process of stagging up a test deployment and I've tried, unsuccessfully, to enable Opal. I look forward to any updated material.

I am using MDE7.1 with an EPO 4.6.7 back end. I verified my drives are OPAL capable so it's got to be that I am missing something.

@dwebb

Any update since your last post? Dell is shipping the E6540's with Samsung SED drives and I am having about a 50% success rate of the systems I have tested so far. I do have a PER submitted and hoping to get this resolved as Dell is not being very cooperative and we are being informed they are planning to add more SED's in the very near future.

Very good FAQ with alot of answers to customer-related questions

I would like to see an Update about the actual Situation and speed difference report for EEPC or MDE between OPAL / SEDs, SSDs and HDDs.

Questions about speed differences are pretty repetitive coming again and again from the customers perspective.

This is a little outdate in terms of what models from Dell and HP are supported. Dell is starting to ship specific models with OPAL drives that are not being detected by EEGO, but then fail when active by EEPC. Current Dell models we are having issues with are E6540, 6430u, 7240 and 7440. Dell is shipping these with either LiteON or Samsung OPAL drives.

The FAQ should be updated within the next week.  Apologies for the delay.

The problem with speed-testing Opal is that you can't measure what the speed of the disk is without doing any encryption, so you can't ascertain what overhead the on-disk-encryption adds (ie. what the performance loss is due to the encryption.

The best place to look is here, which shows how non-Opal SSDs running on Intel CPUs with AES-NI experience negligable performance impact.  There's no comparison with Opal included for the reason I've given above.

http://www.mcafee.com/uk/resources/white-papers/wp-improving-data-protection-with-mcafee-drive-encry...

I thought already in this direction... Thanks for the quick response anyway!

Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎12-07-2011 03:16 AM
Updated by:

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community