cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee IPS - How to upgrade to the Manager to 8.2 and key UI enhancements

Introduction

This article shows the Network Security Manager upgrade process from 8.1 to 8.2* and discusses some of the key. User Interface changes.  While there have been many features added and also a reduction in the client side java the particular UI enhancements are shown because they impact user workflows.

*Note - upgrading your manager to 8.2 is supported from any version newer than 7.1.3.5

Video

Upgrade from previous version

The Network Security Manager typically runs on a Windows 2008 R2 server.  The upgrade process needs access to the underlying OS and the associated credentials.  For the installation, you'll need be ready with authentication to three different systems:

1.     User Credentials for Windows host computer

2.     Grant number for McAfee upgrade software available here: Download My Products Login | McAfee Downloads

3.     MySQL database password used by NSM

*Tip: Log into the Windows host that's running the NSM software and download the software directly onto the host machine to and avoid the need to transfer the file.

Once the file has been downloaded onto the host system launch the installer

Installer.JPG

This process can take some time in my case about 25 minutes from start to finish or where I was logged into the dashboard.

After the installation wizard is complete there's an option to open the console, if this is selected, your default browser will open but may take some time before the console appears.  This delay is expected and due to the fact that services have been stopped for the install and are restarting.

Additional Resources

McAfee KnowledgeBase - Network Security Platform 8.2 Installation Guide

McAfee KnowledgeBase - Network Security Platform 8.2 Quick Tour

McAfee KnowledgeBase - Network Security Platform 8.2 IPS Administration Guide

McAfee KnowledgeBase - Network Security Platform 8.2 Best Practices Guide       

http://www.mcafee.com/us/resources/data-sheets/ds-network-security-platform-ns-series.pdf

PD25606 – Network Security Platform 8.2.7.5-8.2.3.7 M-Series Release Notes

PD25607 – Network Security Platform 8.2.7.5-8.2.3.7 M-xx30 Series Release Notes

PD25604 – Network Security Platform 8.2.7.5-8.2.5.5 NS-9x00 Series Release Notes

PD25609 – Network Security Platform 8.2.7.5-8.2.7.4 NTBA Release Notes

PD25608 – Network Security Platform 8.2.7.5-8.2.3.7 M-8000XC Release Notes

PD25605– Network Security Platform 8.2.7.5-8.2.7.5 Virtual IPS Release Notes

Comments

I hope to have this type of Upgrade for ePO too.

Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
3 of 3
Last update:
‎03-15-2018 12:04 PM
Updated by: