cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Series 07 : EZ MBR or UEFI - Troubleshooting, FAQ and Videos

Thanks to my Twitter friend Pkt_Acez for locating a lot of this new information in an article I thought was lost. Everyone appreciates it!

If you are looking for the EZ tools, head over to The Encryption Tools Exchange.

Features

The goal was to provide you with the ease of use and supplement it with additional features. They are accessible through the menu or the building of the program.

1. The ability to customize your recovery tools environment. (EZPE Menu item)
  2. The Code of the Day is built-in. (Drive recovery menu item)
  3. Choose a different start bar icon (Part of the build process)
  4. There are 2 different versions of the EZPE MBR for ADK's, 8.1 and 10. (Separate downloads)
  5. Still building this..be patient

Show Me

1. EZMBR Overview
  2. How do I create an image?
  3. How can I customize my recovery tools?
  4. How do I use the Mapper feature to copy drive recovery data to?

FAQ

Q1 - Where do I get the EZMBR\UEFI software?
A1 - From the McAfee Community.

Q2 - Can I download this tool and use it directly on a faulty system.
A2 - No - This tool will build the drive recovery environment with enhancements. After you use this tool on a system that allows for the creation of the recovery tools, you can use a bootable device and utilize it on a system with a faulty drive.

Q3 - My build was not successful, what should I do?
A3 - Try the troubleshooting below and notes on the pages of the utilities where you will obtain the software from.

Q4 - Can I have both Windows ADK versions installed on my system?
A4 - The EZ tools are written for a specific ADK. Having both versions installed will confuse the tool potentially. Microsoft does not support a duel ADK environment.

Q5 - No matter what I try the tool doesn't build on my system, what should I try next?
A5 - Try another system that may have fewer security restrictions. This situation has arisen several times now. Trying a system without DLP or third party vendor software will improve your chances of an EZ build process.

Q6 - Does the tool work?
A6 - What purpose would it serve to put out a tool that does not work fundamentally, lol. This tool receives more attention than most tools on the community. It is always being enhanced for you the IT professional.

Q7 - How do I know which one of the utilities to use?
A7 - Your BIOS will be your guide. If it is set to EFI or UEFI then you will use the UEFI version. If it is not set to EFI or UEFI, use the MBR version.

Q8 - Can I customize the look of my emergency recovery tools?
A8 - The latest versions allow you to customize your start button and\or background at the beginning of the build process.

Q9 - Can I just choose to not read anything and just drop Jay and email for assistance?
A9 - Yes - I always welcome your email. The time was spent to help you with these additional notes. You can help me to assist you by taking the time initially to read the notes. I answer every email and will do my best to assist you.

Q10 - How long does the build process take?
A10 - Typically one minute for one version. All versions in about 6 minutes.

Troubleshooting

If your reading this, chances are the tool appears broken to you and isn't working. Don't fret as we haven't had any issues to date that couldn't be fixed.

1. You must execute the program from your desktop. This is a Windows ADK requirement.
  2. Your username should not contain a space. If it does, the program will not complete properly.
  3. You should only have one ADK version installed. If you have ADK 8.1 and 10 installed, the EZ program cannot determine the proper ADK. It is not advisable by Microsoft either.
  4. If you have security programs such as DLP protecting your system, EZ might not operate well either.
  5. If you are running ADK 8.1, use the EZ couterpart for ADK 8.1. For example if you use EZ for ADK 10 and have ADK 8.1 installed, it won't work.

You want a simple set of guidelines?

1. Pick a plain vanilla system. Doesn't matter about the OS version.
  2. Download the ADK 10.
  3. Download the correct EZ program:

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/downloads/free-tools/eztools.html

4. Right-Click the EZ Program on your desktop and Run-As Administrator.
     5. Choose a menu item and the program should build your version in approximately 1 min.
     6. If all else fails you can drop me an email and I will give you a hand by email. Now if you do  
         send me an email make sure you include:

• Your Name
  • Your phone number that I can actually reach you on should it be necessary.
  • Which version of the EZ program are you using? MBR or UEFI for ADK 8.1 or 10. I need to know both name and version.
  • Explain the steps you took and what is failing.
  • What is your phone number or how I can contact you?

95% of the emails and phone conversations have come down to "not reading". So give it a try and see why the EZMBR and EZUEFU has been visited over 22K times.

Labels (1)
Comments

Hi Jay,

I am using your ADK 10 - EZGPT\UEFI. I want to add Macfee code of the day exe. I am able to add the file in program files. when i try to run the exe, it does not work. Can you please contact me

Name: Umang Mehta

704 987 5533

umang.mehta@mscdirect.com

I misunderstood your post when I first read it. The code of the day is a 32 bit program. Try running it from a separate system.

Jay

Hi Jay,

I am using your ADK 10 - EZGPT\UEFI. I want to add Macfee code of the day exe. I am able to add the file in program files. when i try to run the exe, it does not work. Can you please contact me

Jay,

Can i use  EZGPT\UEFI  for  ADK 10 using winpe 32bit.

umang mehta

If you run the EZPE on ANY 32 but machine it won't work. BUT you can make a little change to get it to work.

1. The 32 bit systems load the ADK into the Program FIles folder. On 64 bit systems they are installed in the Program Files (x86) folder.

2. On a 32 bit system, create a Program Files (X86) folder. Copy the Windows Kits folder from the Program Files folder over to the new folder. The EZ should then work.

Jay

Hi Jay,

I am trying drive recovery on a UEFI drive for first time for DE 7.2.3.28 . I have reached up to the point where I am able to authenticate and authorize, however, I don't see where can I see the data on disk to restore. I have used MBR version before and it had explorer++ in menu to see that, but I don't find it here. Not sure if I'm missing something out.I called up mcafee support and they say you can just click on "REMOVE DE" and access it normally but I'm paraniod about that.

Appreciate your input on this.

Name: Roshni Verma

571-246-2645

roshni.verma@issgovernance.com

Hi Roshni, Thanks for your post. Look at the pics below and the video I just took for you. It will give you a brief overview of what the EFI looks like and where the file browser is.

Jay

(view in My Videos)
2018-03-02_13-57-10.jpg2018-03-02_13-58-07.jpg

Appreciate it! I got it. For some reason it was throwing me an error earlier.

Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
5 of 5
Last update:
‎11-27-2018 06:08 AM
Updated by:

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community