Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fishinwa
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 9

uninstall online backup

Well, I've had a problem with Online Backup since April 2011. I recently purchased a new computer and installed Total Protection and Online Protection (unlimited) and haven't beeen able to get it to work (tech support tried and couldn't either). Now, I can't uninstall Online Protection!!!

I've tried to delete it via Control Panel > Uninstall a Program, but that failed to actually remove anything. After a restart, it still showed up as available to uninstall !!!

And I can't delete the directory "McAfee Online Backup" from the program files directory: "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program"

I've restarted, started in safe mode, unchecked it from System Configuration > Services and >Startup (and restarted again)

To me, this is a virus planted on my computer by McAfee!

Message was edited by: fishinwa on 1/4/12 10:11:11 AM CST
8 Replies
Dinz
Level 16
Message 2 of 9

Re: uninstall online backup

Hi there,

This is something  new that we would be interested to follow up with you to understand the issue. I have sent you an email to the email address that you have registered on forums .Please have it replied so that we could help you resolve the issue .

Regards,

fishinwa
Level 7
Message 3 of 9

Hi Dinesh:

Some McAfee Customer Service numbers for your research (listed newest to oldest):

1. SR-809367478
  2. SR-809322492
  3. McAfee Executive Escalations Team Sr no 484570-804553524 (#6356-270322393-0024)
  4. Service Request number 484570-671044113

While McAfee technical support has been extraordinarily kind in trying  (like WOW! in bending over backward in trying! I’ve spent over 8 hours online with them, WOW!) to solve this problem with McAfee Online Backup, but the issue hasn’t been fixed and apparently hasn’t been reported to someone who can do anything about it.

The program doesn’t work and is virus-like. I can’t uninstall it.

shubhaat
Level 7
Message 4 of 9

Hi ,

When you install both MTP and McAfee Online Backup, MOBK gets integrated with the suite. Have you already tried uninstalling MTP and then MOBK and reinstalling MTP. I suspect you have. Does it still not work ?

Regards

Shubha

fishinwa
Level 7
Message 5 of 9

Removed MTP

Rebooted

Ran MozyUninstaller.exe as administrator from McAfeeMOBK directory (it didn't uninstall anything)

Rebooted

Went to Control Panel, uninstalled McAfee Online Backup (it didn't uninstall anything)

Rebooted

MOBK is still installed.

MOBCleanup and McAfee Online Backup are still running as services in Administrative Tools > System Configuration > Services

McAfee Online Backup is still running as a Startup item according to Administrative Tools > System Configuration > Startup

At this point I want to eradicate all McAfee products from my computer. How do I do that?

shubhaat
Level 7
Message 6 of 9

@fishinwa

Refer to this link for more details on uninstalling Online Backup:

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100745

fishinwa
Level 7
Message 7 of 9

You're being lazy. I just showed you that I tried all three.

shubhaat
Level 7
Message 8 of 9

@fishnawa - I can see you did try uninstalling and installing everything, but I was just giving you the document for better reference. I dont directly deal with this product, so its the first time I am seeing this issue.

I know you have already gotten in touch with support, but thats the best I can suggest righ now.

fishinwa
Level 7
Message 9 of 9

I see; I do appreciate your time in trying to help. This morning I was greeted by McAfee Online backup with a message telling me it has been over 3 days since a backup... After having been "uninstalled" via 3 different methods... Very frustrating!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community