Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JWL
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

"Transferring" backup after uninstallation and reinstalling

Total Protection (SC v11.0 Build 11.0.632)

On Line Backup (v3.0 Build 3.0.128)

I had to uninstall Total Protection and reinstall

When setting up my backup again I did a transfer to new machine

- selected my backup (total of 2 in use; double check it was my backup by confirming the files available for restoring were mine)

- configured the backup as before

- error message: over quota

- deselected everything, so nothing would be backed up: still over quota (my backup is just under 400mbs so even if I doubled up on the files it wouldn't be over quota)

I did not bother to work on it any further as the reinstallation had not sorted my initial problem and I was going to uninstall and reinstall again.

Having reinstalled again, now trying to set up my backup again.

However, now my backup is not appearing at all when I select transfer; only the 2nd backup in use.

I still do have the number for my backup (that very long one; and the name of my machine is still the same).

How do I go about finding my backup?

Any assistance will be much appreciated so I don't have to do the whole lot again.

Thank you.

3 Replies
Dinz
Level 16
Message 2 of 4

Re: "Transferring" backup after uninstallation and reinstalling

Hi JWL,

This seems to be an issue with the configuration part that requires a detailed session on the PC. Can you please click on Useful links at the top of this page and then click on Technical support so as a technician can remote inn to your PC and get the issue isolated.

Thanks,

Manoj_AR
Level 10
Message 3 of 4

Assuming you want to restore the old backup files try the below steps

When you request a Web restore, the online servers gather your files and send you an email with a link to download your data. Your restored files are only available to download for seven days. After those seven days expire, the files are no longer available for download. Additionally, after you download the files the first time, they are no longer available for download. Once your restore request has expired, you can perform another restore request.

1. In your browser address bar navigate to http://us.mcafee.com and log into your account.
  2. On the My Products tab scroll down to your application download option.
  3. Under Online Backup, click Web Restore link.
  4. On the Online Backup details page, locate the computer you wish to restore files for and click Web Restore.
  5. A new web page will open listing the name of the system at the top left. You have two options available to select files to restore, either File System or Backup Sets

• Restoring Files from the Web Using the File System:

1. In the drop-down menus at the top-right corner of the page select the date and time that correspond to the backup you want to restore.
      2. Click the folder containing the files you want to restore.
      3. Select or deselect individual files if necessary by clicking the checked check box above the top of the file list to select, or clicking the empty check box above the top of the file list to deselect.

NOTE: The number of files and size of all the files selected are displayed at the bottom of the page.
      4. Click Continue.
      5. Select the free web download of your restored content .

• Restoring Files from the Web Using Backup Sets:
      1. In the drop-down menus, select the date and time that correspond to the backup you want to restore.
      2. Select the backup set you want to restore.
      3. Select or deselect individual files, if necessary by clicking the checked check box above the top of the file list to select, or clicking the empty check box above the top of the file list to deselect.

NOTE: The number of files and size of all the files selected are displayed at the bottom of the page.
      4. Click Continue to start the restore process.
      5. Select Web Restore or DVD Restore.
JWL
Level 7
Message 4 of 4

I landed up having McAfee technicians assisting me and the problem has been solved.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community