cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pierce
Level 13

upgrading DLP 9.2.x to 9.3, anything to watch out for?

Jump to solution

The upgrade instructions are a bit vague in places.

So process as far as i can tell is:

backup policy + assignments

Uninstall DLP management tools from ePO server

upgrade extensions/help file

load policy + assingment information

what happens to the DLP WCF process? there are no upgrade instructions so I assume this version dosnt need it? Should I uninstall it the end?

anything else to watch out for?

thanks,

Pierce

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ssadlocha
Level 10

Re: upgrading DLP 9.2.x to 9.3, anything to watch out for?

Jump to solution

Just completed this last night, here are the steps I took and it worked well.

1. Backup DLP policy

2. Take a snapshot of ePO server (it is a VM)

3. Take a DB backup

4. Log directly onto ePO server

5. Uninstall DLP Management tools from Control Panel (also uninstall from any client systems at this time, such as ePO admins)

6. Uninstall WCF component from Control Panel

7. Reboot server

8. Log back into server and ePO console on server

9. Install extensions from previously downloaded and extracted files

10. Check in software to Master Repository (I dumped it into the Evaluation branch--this step is not immediately needed but I wanted to get it out of the way)

Here is where it got just a little tricky.

11. Open DLP Policy from ePO console, and let management tools re-install (this did not occur on the server, so I did it on my client workstation ePO console).

12. Open DLP policy (previously backed up in step 1) from menu, and apply to ePO (when management tools installed, DLP attempted to do this automatically, but only did rules and not agent config or options, so I discarded and did manually from Menu)

13. Since the DLP management tools would not install automatically on the server, I located the install files I had downloaded, found the Management Tools exe inside of a cab file, extracted it and ran it manually.

14. Verify all is good.

12 Replies
pul
Level 7

Jump to solution

What's the good question regarding WCF process. I was wandering myself.

0 Kudos
bretzeli
Level 11

Jump to solution

2015-03-05_105255.jpg

Yes there is NO WFC Service anymore in 9.2 and 9.3.

Whats happens as example with the "Mcafee HELPDESK TOOL" which was used to generate Unblock/Uninstall keys for first Level and used the WFC Service to connect to the open?

Is thre are replacment for this?

I don't want to install the DLP Managment console to every First Level Supporters client or Jump Host they have.

0 Kudos
pierce
Level 13

Jump to solution

I thought this feature was just inside ePO now and users just had to sign in. Have a look around the new menu items and see if the option appears or let me know and ill double check for you.

0 Kudos
vimalnavis
Level 13

Jump to solution

9.3 does not require WCF anymore. You may safely uninstall it.

pierce
Level 13

Jump to solution

I called up support to get a more defined answer around 'when' to uninstall it.

Support said to remove it at the same time as you remove the old DLP management tools from the server. Will be giving this a go later today and will see how it goes.

thanks,

0 Kudos
d.naraine
Level 7

Jump to solution

When you upgrade to 9.3 from 9.2, you must upgrade the console along with upgrading the clients.

If a client has 9.3, but you havnt upgraded the console yet. 9.3 agents or endpoints can read 9.2 policies, but they cannot recieve 9.2 policy updates.

So my suggestion would be to upgrade the console first, then the agents. Both need to be done together.

0 Kudos
vimalnavis
Level 13

Jump to solution

Update the extension//console first always. Apply the policy in backward compatibility mode until you are ready to update the agents.

There is no need to upgrade both at the same time.

0 Kudos
pierce
Level 13

Jump to solution

Yes thats exactly what I did,, upgraded the management tools/console and set backwards compatability mode and now can upgrade my agents at my lesuire.

Also worth noting that one thing that caught me out was the helpdesk tools app no longer works (as it connects to the DLP WCF service you uninstall) its now all integrated with ePO which is great once you realise and permission it!

0 Kudos
akill
Level 9

Jump to solution

Do a Backup of your policies, check and install the new package, remove the OLD management tools, remove WCF and install the new DLP tools after you log in for first time you will see a pop up you only click on convert and this is all

0 Kudos