cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

evidence folder size on server

where is the setting for the evidence folder size on the ePO server?

the ePO server is gathering all this evidence from workstations and its starting to grow very quickly!

9 Replies
Raja
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 10

Re: evidence folder size on server

The evidence folder is a UNC path.  You can use any UNC share for evidence storage.  It doesn't have to be on the ePO server.  The evidence folder, as you can see, can grow very rapidly.

The path is set in the DLP Global Agent Configuration.

-R-

i understand where the path is set, however where is the server setting for the size limit? i need to restrict the size on the server or tell it to purge after 30 days.

Raja
Level 9
Message 4 of 10

There is no way to limit the size of the evidence share in DLP.  You could always create a new drive partition with the size you have in mind.  When the drive gets full the clients will stop sending data to it until there is space available. 

would be nicer if there was setting in the console. creating a new partition and waiting for it to fill up just sounds silly to me. then all the new evidence gets lost unless you cleanup the drive.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 10

I think the point of collecting evidence is that you want it? Scrubbing evidence seems an odd thing to do, usually people want as much evidence as they can get.

If we added a size restriction, the next demand would be to scrub certain things in preference to other things etc.

Just allocate some more storage, or archive it out occasionally 😉

Well designed systems have automatic log trimming feature, FIFO based. You still need to backup/archive those logs though.

Reliable Contributor SafeBoot
Reliable Contributor
Message 8 of 10

I agree, as an aside, does Windows trim the event logs automatically yet? I can't recall.

but, here we are not talking about logs, we are talking about evidence that a policy was set to collect. 😞

It's not a bad idea though - fee free to submit it as a feature request if it's really important to you.

You consider Windows as well designed then? - yes there is option to do that.

I always like the idea to have log size fixed. It makes planning and maintenance simpler.

Log is a log. Some are almost completely unimportant, others extremely important.

Highlighted
maziz
Level 10
Message 10 of 10

Hi acurablade.

I do believe there are option to configure Evidence based settings in DLP Policy > Agent Configuration > Edit Global Agent Configuration. There is an Evidence Tab and a subheading of Agent Evidence Settings under which there are numerous size based control elements.

I have, so far, not been able to find a way to restrict the size of the actual Evidence share.

Hope this helps.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community