cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webapp-based content fingerprinting tag and Chrome DLP Extension

Jump to solution

Hi Heroes,

Does the webapp-based tag relies on DLP Chrome Extension?

From what I can recall, we just need to ensure "Browser Address Bar URL detection" enabled in the Windows Client Configuration policy.

But I just tested with Chrome v87, without the DLP extension, the file downloaded is not tagged at all.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Thanks..

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Corey-DLP
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 7

Re: Webapp-based content fingerprinting tag and Chrome DLP Extension

Jump to solution

That is correct. The DLP Chrome Extension would be required. For this to be enabled, the DLP Agent must be able to download it from the Chrome App Store. Unfortunately, manually installing the extension is not supported and in my experience, does not work. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Corey-DLP
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello and thank you for posting here!

Can you tell me what version of the DLP Agent you have installed on the client system you're testing?

Jump to solution

Hi @Corey-DLP , DLP 11.6 Agent 5.6.6 ePO 5.10U9

Jump to solution

Hi @Corey-DLP , sorry for pinging you again! can you let me know if webapp-based tag requires DLP Chrome extension to be present? thanks!!!

Corey-DLP
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello and thank you for your reply.

Since the browser address bar URL setting is required for Web Application Content Fingerprinting to work, this would also mean that the module for the respective browser your are using would also need to be enabled. In your case, this would enable the DLP Extension in Chrome. Without the extension, DLP will not be able to analyze the URL from which the file is being downloaded. For next steps, I would test with the DLP Chrome Extension enabled. If files are still not being tagged, I would open an SR with McAfee Support for further investigation. 

Jump to solution

Thanks. so the DLP Extension for Chrome is mandatory, correct? I have tested once I installed the extension the files downloaded can be tagged correctly.

The reason I ask here is that we are in the China region, my customers dont have internet access to Chrome Web Store to install the extension... We also tried to create an offline .crx DLP extension file and install it but it's not working at all.

Corey-DLP
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

That is correct. The DLP Chrome Extension would be required. For this to be enabled, the DLP Agent must be able to download it from the Chrome App Store. Unfortunately, manually installing the extension is not supported and in my experience, does not work. 

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community