cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Standing up new ePO server. Question about exporting DLP policies and info/best practices

Jump to solution

Quick background info before the question.  I am the current ePO administrator for my organization, before arriving on the job my predecessor had already left.  There have been some anomalies with our ePO configuration during my time here and with the release of McAfee agent 5.0.5 (HBSS configuration) I have decided to just bite the bullet and build a new ePO (5.3.1) from the ground up and build continuity based off of it instead.

So far so good, have had 0 issues as my ePO resides in a test domain with 0 LDAPs configured - at least while I build the new policies, master repository and my new system tree layout.  So here's the question.  Our old ePO has DLP 9.3 while my new ePO will be running 9.4, there was obviously a big change in operation between the two versions.  Would it be easier, and with less issues, to stand up 9.3 on my new ePO then upgrade to 9.4 after I import all of my old data (hard drive configurations/user groups) or just go straight to 9.4?

Anyone with 9.3 - 9.4 experience would be greatly appreciated, thank you all for the time.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Reliable Contributor chrisnlc
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Standing up new ePO server. Question about exporting DLP policies and info/best practices

Jump to solution

This all depends if you want to rewrite your 9.3 policies or not.

If you only had a few 9.3 rules and you want some extra practice writing 9.4 style polices,rulesets/rules then start over. However if you had a complex 9.3 policy with many rules then I would install both 9.3 and 9.4 on the new server, restore the 9.3 server, apply it, then run the migration task and tidy it up afterwards in the 9.4 Policy Manager.

Speaking for myself, for a simple 9.3 policy, would prefer to start fresh and correct any errors.

HTH

_Chris.

2 Replies
Reliable Contributor chrisnlc
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Standing up new ePO server. Question about exporting DLP policies and info/best practices

Jump to solution

This all depends if you want to rewrite your 9.3 policies or not.

If you only had a few 9.3 rules and you want some extra practice writing 9.4 style polices,rulesets/rules then start over. However if you had a complex 9.3 policy with many rules then I would install both 9.3 and 9.4 on the new server, restore the 9.3 server, apply it, then run the migration task and tidy it up afterwards in the 9.4 Policy Manager.

Speaking for myself, for a simple 9.3 policy, would prefer to start fresh and correct any errors.

HTH

_Chris.

Jump to solution

Sorry for the lateness but thank you for the reply.  I have to convert all of our policies anyways due to windows compatibility with 9.3/9.4.  Still cheers for the reply however.

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.