Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Query about Client Configuration Whitelists

Hello,

The client configuration whitelist policy allows the use of wildcards for whitelisting, but I cannot find out if using them will be covering any URL formats. For example, to try and whitelist all government sites, I added the string:

*.gov.uk

I am assuming that we would have no problem if the user access the site https: // dvla.gov.uk, but what about more complex URLs formats like the ones below? Will they be whitelisted as well?

www.word1.gov.uk

www.word1.word2.gov.uk

www.word1.word2-word3.gov.uk

Many thanks in advance.

4 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: Query about Client Configuration Whitelists

Hello,

Thank you for posting this question.

Wildcard characters should still work in this scenario as it would exclude all subdomains mentioned prior to .gov.uk. 

For additional information on URL list definitions, you may want to check out KB90846.

KB90846: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90846&actp=null&viewlocale=en_US&showDraft=f...

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Highlighted
Level 10
Message 3 of 5

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, but I believe that the KB applies only to URLs under the Definition. What I was referring to, is the Whitelist URLs section that can be found under Policy Catalog > Data Loss Prevention 11.4 > Windows Client Configuration > Default Windows Client Configuration > Web Protection.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Thank you for the clarification. 

The same wildcard logic would still apply under the Whitelist URLs section. Using * or ? would work as a wild card for any subdomain preceding .gov.uk.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Hi @Linuxxo ,

This would work for your requirement as @Corey-DLP told in his comments

whitelist.PNG

You can test the same and share the results.

Thank you

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community