Did you mean: 
JayMan
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

New to DLP/Device Control 11.2... Working with Rule Sets

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I've been on Device Control 9.x for ages and we're finally moving to 11.2 very soon, just setting up the appropriate rules so we can finalise testing.

I'm having trouble getting my head around the new policy configurations & having multiple rules sets under a single policy...

Like... why would I want multiple rules sets in a policy? What advantage would that have over a single rule set & multiple rules within?

What am I missing?

Cheers

Jason

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee DLP_RS
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Re: New to DLP/Device Control 11.2... Working with Rule Sets

Jump to solution

Hi Jason,

I will try to answer your query as per my understanding of the post.

Like... why would I want multiple rules sets in a policy? What advantage would that have over a single rule set & multiple rules within?

=> Having multiple rulesets will also help in using them in other policies. So once a ruleset is created, it can be used in other DLP Policies as well. So now how it works--

DLP Policy-->It will contain Rulset(s)--> Each ruleset will contain Rules.

Now Policy can be assigned to System(s).

Each policy can have a ruleset(s) and it is not mandatory to have multiple ruleset(s) as what if we have a group of machines where you only want to block USB devices? So we may need another DLP policy for rest of the machines where you may want to block only Web Posts.

Hope it helps.

3 Replies
McAfee Employee DLP_RS
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Hi Jason,

I will try to answer your query as per my understanding of the post.

=> Having multiple rulesets will also help in using them in other policies. So once a ruleset is created, it can be used in other DLP Policies as well. So now how it works--

DLP Policy-->It will contain Rulset(s)--> Each ruleset will contain Rules.

Now Policy can be assigned to System(s).

Each policy can have a ruleset(s) and it is not mandatory to have multiple ruleset(s) as what if we have a group of machines where you only want to block USB devices? So we may need another DLP policy for rest of the machines where you may want to block only Web Posts.

Hope it helps.

Highlighted
JayMan
Level 10
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Ahh yes I get it now... So we can group rules logically, and then apply those across different policies as required... Then when changing a rule that is part of a ruleset it'll apply to any policy it's used in (rather Han having to duplicate the rules in multiple policies).

What happens if you have conflicting rules within 2 rule sets, and both are applied to the same policy? 

McAfee Employee DLP_RS
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

To best of my knowledge, Block reaction takes priority. However that said, need to test with a proper use case like type of rule configured and reaction set and expected results.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator