Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
razorblades
Level 7

NDLP Manager will not start after boot

Jump to solution

Platform:  VSphere 5..0.0-46052

VSphere Server:  HP Proliant DL360 G5 server

VMWare Image ConfigSmiley Sad4) CPUs, 16 GB RAM, LSI Logic SAS Controller, 1 TB disk

After install, system reboots but fails to complete the installation process, which hangs after GRUB loads the kernel and the initrd image

Red Hat nash version 5.1.19.6 starting

rm: unable to remove '/sysroot'; Device or resource is busy.

Switching between Primary and Secondary images in the drop down list results in the same error.

I have tried to launch the GRUB command line to see if the /sysroot directory can be mounted or purged, but I cannot get to a point where I can launch a shell.  There are only two initrd image files that can be loaded, which results in the error listed above, and using the noinitrd switch results in a kernel panic because the init option is not specified.  I have tried to find an init directory (e.g. /etc/preinit, /bin/sh, /sbin, etc.) that will allow me to launch a shell to get into the LINUX commands, but no luck.

Anyone encounter this  error and have insight into how to fix the problem?

Message was edited by: razorblades on 2/10/14 7:23:52 PM CST
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
andyclements
Level 12

Re: NDLP Manager will not start after boot

Jump to solution

The 'unable to remove' line shows up on every boot.  I have seen it stay there for some time before the boot continues.  Do any other error messages appear?

A fresh install will require the primary image to boot first, so that the second can be installed.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
andyclements
Level 12

Jump to solution

The 'unable to remove' line shows up on every boot.  I have seen it stay there for some time before the boot continues.  Do any other error messages appear?

A fresh install will require the primary image to boot first, so that the second can be installed.

0 Kudos
razorblades
Level 7

Jump to solution

The /sysroot error stayed on the screen for approximately 15 minutes before the install continued.  That issue needs to be documented in the used guide.  If anymore errors show up after the first stage install, I will post them here.

0 Kudos
andyclements
Level 12

Jump to solution

That is significantly longer than what I have seen in the past.  I don't think I have run across any that are over one or two minutes, but most of my installs are on bare metal.  When I have installed on a VM for my lab I just start it and walk away for a while, so maybe I didn't see that.

0 Kudos
razorblades
Level 7

Jump to solution

It's a bit strange that it takes a long time but I know  that the NDLP application is pretty resource intensive.  The first boot throwing an error message is concerning and I have given my colleagues a head's up that they should expect the message when they first roll out any NDL application (Discover is throwing the same message and is going on 15 minutes right now).

0 Kudos
andyclements
Level 12

Jump to solution

That error will appear on every boot, not just the first.

0 Kudos
davidp64
Level 10

Jump to solution

Hi Team,

Anyone got the solution as i am also facing same issue i.e. unable to remove '/sysroot'Smiley Very Happyevice or resource busy.I had tried lot of time with fresh installation but still same issue..

VMWare Image ConfigSmiley Sad4) CPUs, 8 GB RAM, LSI Logic SAS Controller, 1 TB disk...

I am stuck on below place and waited for 4-5 hours but still same..Kindly help..

0 Kudos