cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Monitoring/Blocking data sent to external domains through Web-email Clients

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to monitor the data moving from our internal mail domain to external mail domains.

I have successfully created and tested an email protection rule which monitors/blocks data sent to external mail domains like gmail etc . but I am unable to do the same with Web application mail clients.

I tried creating WEB protection rule but it is only allowing  me to monitor sensitive data being posted like the user visits the particular Web-app( say outlook web)and paste something there and hit send if the classification criteria matches it will block/monitor that particular data as per the configured policy.

Now what I want to do is regardless of what sensitive/insensitive content is being posted, If it is sent to gmail or any other domain, incident must be generated in the incident manager. 

A bit confusing, isn't it

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2 Replies
McAfee Employee DLP_RS
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: Monitoring/Blocking data sent to external domains through Web-email Clients

Is it possible to share some screenshots so that I can understand your requirement Or is it okay if you can log a service request with McAfee Technical Support?

Re: Monitoring/Blocking data sent to external domains through Web-email Clients

Sorry that was a bit confusing.

My goal is to monitor email sent by any employee to any external mail domain

I have created an email Protection rule which monitors email sent by internal user through  mail client to any external domains like gmail, etc, That is working fine.

Now I wish to replicate the same thing with web-email clients. For example we have outlook as our email client so my email protection rule will be able to monitor the emails sent to gmail.

Now if the user visits the web version of outlook i.e office.365 and send any mail to any external domain, my email protection rule will not work. What should I do in this case then?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community