cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee creating issues in Aspnet_compiler.exe for Visual studio 2012\2013

Hello,

We recently upgraded our applications to latest visual studio and Microsoft framework version. We migrated from .Net 3.5 to 4.5 and from VS 2010 to VS 2012.

I had error in publishing my website in visual studio 2012\2013. I tried all the solutions I found on internet. But what has worked for me is - removing McAfee completely.

I have given this solution by Microsoft technical experts so I guess they have faced calls about this issue more often.

Now I have few assumptions in my mind:

1. McAfee is blocking access to files being compiled

2. McAfee is changing time-stamp of file being compiled creating an endless loop. VS compiles file > McAfee changes time-stamp > VS does not recognize and compiles again... and this continues.

3. Aspnet_compiler.exe of Version 4.0 is not trusted process of McAfee while same process for V2.0 is trusted by McAfee. So in V2.0 or 3.5 we do not face this issue.

Please let me know what exactly is the issue. We are part of big organisation and have various banking clients. We cannot continue our work by removing McAfee. I need a permanent solution.

Files or paths being used during compilation are :

• C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\?.*

• C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v4.0.30319\aspnet_compiler.exe​

• C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\?.*

• C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet_compiler.exe​

• C:\Users\user-name\AppData\Local\Temp\?.*​​

Issue details :

Application is getting compiled successfully but while publishing is ending up with following error:

"
ASPNETCOMPILER(0,0): Error ASPRUNTIME: Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

There are approx. 700 aspx page and 1000 user control and publishing takes approx 6 hours to complete.

COMMAND used: "aspnet_compiler.exe -v /BusinessBanking -p C:\Users\priyanka.salunkhe\AppData\Local\Temp\WebSitePublish\BusinessBanking-655256254\obj\Debug\AspnetCompileMerge\Source -u -c -fixednames C:\Users\priyanka.salunkhe\AppData\Local\Temp\WebSitePublish\BusinessBanking-655256254\obj\Debug\AspnetCompileMerge\TempBuildDir" is getting executed..

you have tried -f switch with the compiler but that did not help, you have already set the "batch =false" but that too did not help.

when you compiled it with the "-errorstack" you found following call stack:

[NullReferenceException]: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CopyPrecompiledFile(VirtualFile vfile, String destPhysicalPath)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CopyStaticFilesRecursive(VirtualDirectory sourceVdir, String destPhysicalDir,

Boolean topLevel)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CopyStaticFilesRecursive(VirtualDirectory sourceVdir, String destPhysicalDir,

Boolean topLevel)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.PrecompileAppInternal(VirtualPath startingVirtualDir)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.PrecompileApp(VirtualPath startingVirtualDir)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.PrecompileApp(ClientBuildManagerCallback callback)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManagerHost.PrecompileApp(ClientBuildManagerCallback callback)

at System.Web.Compilation.BuildManagerHost.PrecompileApp(ClientBuildManagerCallback callback)

at System.Web.Compilation.ClientBuildManager.PrecompileApplication(ClientBuildManagerCallback callback, Boolean force

CleanBuild)

at System.Web.Compilation.ClientBuildManager.PrecompileApplication(ClientBuildManagerCallback callback)

at System.Web.Compilation.Precompiler.Main(String[] args)

McAfee product on my machine:

McAfee Agent  Version number: 4.8.0.1500 Managed 

McAfee DLP Endpoint 

Version number: 9.3.200.23

Language: English (United States)

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise + AntiSpyware Enterprise 

Version number: 8.8.0 (8.8.0.1247)

Build date: 1/15/2014 @

Thanks,

Priyanka

7 Replies

Re: McAfee creating issues in Aspnet_compiler.exe for Visual studio 2012\2013

Moved from Consumer to Business > VSE for faster support.

---

Peter

On second thoughts Data Loss Prevention may be best so have moved it there.

I can always move it again if needed.

palex
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 8

Hi, priyanka.salunkhe!

From your letter it is impossible to understand how it is configured McAfee. Contact your security service.
If you do set up McAfee DLP, look at the policy on your DLP server. Which policy works with Aspnet_compiler.exe?

If this policy is not, then you need to check McAfee VirusScan Enterprise.

It seems to me that this issue properly moved into this group.

Regards.

Hi Palex

I tried by excluding above mentioned directories from DLP server. After that I was sorted but issue still persists because that setting change needs to be done at organisational level and we cannot do that. If same change is applied for single machine, it does not work. we are clueless

Could you please tell me steps or checkpoints where I can look for ? I am not sure of policy that works with aspnet_compiler.exe.

A person from network team said that there are some processes trusted by McAfee for example MS Excel. and possibley this process (aspnet_compiler) is not in McAfee trusted list. I tried to look for that trusted list on my machine but i did not find. Didnot find on Mcafee website even.

Thanks,

Priyanka

wwarren
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Since you are using VSE 8.8 Patch 4, my first guess would be one of it's known issues where the scanner is modifying last access time on files.

We've seen that cause issues for an assortment of 3rd party applications, Visual Studio included.

Known Issues article: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB78495

Specific Issue: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB81595

Simple test for it: Change the "What to scan" setting to Specified file types, and only add the file type extension of "ZZZ". In other words, leave the scanner running but effectively scanning nothing.

If the build fails, you'll know it has some tie to file objects being scanned by us which will tell you it's solvable with an appropriate exclusion (rather than not scanning anything).
And, if it is the same issue as our known issue, you'll know it's addressed in Patch 5 and also in Patch 4 with HF929019.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee

Thanks wwaren..

I have excluded my exe and directory containing that exe from McAfee scanning on another machine where we have same issue. But that did not change anything. Does it needs to be done centrally (to apply exclusions for all over organization) ?

The process and directory are excluded completely right now. Exclusions are listed here on that machine : VSE > on-Access Scanner >All processes > Exclusions.

Could you please help me to understand where exactly I will find this menu you specified for simple test "Simple test for it: Change the "What to scan" setting to Specified file types, and only add the file type extension of "ZZZ". In other words, leave the scanner running but effectively scanning nothing."

wwarren
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

I have excluded my exe and directory containing that exe from McAfee scanning on another machine where we have same issue. But that did not change anything.

That isn't the right thing to exclude.

You should exclude the file/folder(s) the failing process is interested in, not the process itself.

The "What to Scan" setting is found in the On Access Scanner properties. But, considering your unfamiliarity with the product, it might be best to contact our Support team for assistance with investigating.

William W. Warren | S.I.R.R. | Customer Success Group | McAfee
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community