cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Superhoop
Level 9

McAfee Device Control 9.1 and PS2 ports

Hello All,

Does anyone out there use Device Control to block PS2 ports as well as removable storage etc ?

We do via a PNP rule and various definitions but I want to know how it does it ? Device Control cannot alert on anything plugged into a machien like it does with USB but why not ? Is it killing power or comms of these ports ?

Thanks

Superhoop

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SafeBoot
Level 21

Re: McAfee Device Control 9.1 and PS2 ports

Sorry, I don't really understand the question you are trying to answer - are you asking if DLP can block PS2 ports? Given that these only work for a keyboard or mouse, what are you trying to achieve re removable media?

Maybe this document is of some help to you? http://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/24000/PD24504/en_US/I...

Message was edited by: SafeBoot on 9/16/13 9:55:00 AM EDT
0 Kudos
Superhoop
Level 9

OK, ignoring removable media for now. Is Device Control designed to blocked PS2 ports ? If the answer is yes, why does it not generate events when a device is plugged into the machine and left in during a reboot and how does it block it ?

Thanks

Superhoop

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

I'm not an expert in this product, I dare say you can probably disable the class in the device list though. It's a long time since I've used a machine with a PS2 socket on it unfortunately.

PS2 ports don't have any concept of "notification" - it's much like a serial port, it's very "dumb".

What threat are you trying to mitigate here? someone pugging in a keyboard to a headless device?

0 Kudos
tonyw
Level 12

Safeboot is correct.  There's no removable media mounted via the PS/2 port so the only option would be a plug and play rule to block the bus itself...

By default DLP has unmanaged device classes set to prevent an admin from unintentionally killing access to the keyboard and mouse, preventing the user from interacting with the system.

0 Kudos