The Apple phone products do not show up as removable storage devices, so you will have to create a PnP device definition to block them. They are all USB Vendor ID 05AC as stated before, the product IDs are listed below:
12A0: iPhone 4s
1297: iPhone 4
1290: iPhone Original
1292: iPhone 3G
1294: iPhone 3Gs
129F: iPad 2
HTC Androids (Vendor ID 0BB4):
0FFE, 0FF9, 0FF8, 0FFF, 0CA5, 0CA2, 0C9E, 0C97, 0C99, 0C94, 0C91, 0C8D, 0C87, 0C5F, 0C01
Motorola Androids (Vendor ID 22B8):
41D6, 41D9, 41DB, 41DE, 4285, 42B3, 42B4, 42B5, 42B6, 42B7, 42B8, 42B9, 7087, 4287, 42BA, 42A3, 2D67, 2D66, 4316, 42D6, 42F6, 2D78, 6426, 70C6, 42E0, 2D84, 708D, 708F, 7086
Motorola Androids (Vendor ID 0C44):
Samsung Androids (Vendor ID 04E8):
681D, 685B, 681C, 685E, 6860, 6877, 689E
Samsung Androids (Vendor ID 05C6):
The installation guide of DLP recommends setting rules in monitor only mode in a generic configuration to gather information about your environment. Using the events created by the monitored events, in this case plug and play events for usb devices, the VID/PID can be obtained for the specific devices you are trying to block. You can then create your rule based off that criteria to block.
As long as DLP can see the device on the machine as an imaging device with the correct VID/PID, then yes.
The monitor mode would allow you to gather this information in the DLP Monitor as an event and then export the device information thru a right click on the event. Use the csv file to import into your device definition to create a rule that's based off what's seen by DLP to ensure the device is monitored/blocked correctly.
So I figured out the reason behind why the rule wasn't working when I had moade it correctly. Make this be a lesson to everyone, that when you create a new rule in DLP, that you ALSO must edit the policy of it that you want it applied to in the Policy Catalog or System Tree. Inside the Policy settings, you will see the new rule, but it will have both checkboxes (logged in user / local user). Make sure both of these are set, or however your system is configured. I checked both boxes, woke up the agents, and the rules now successfully work.