cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDLP content fingerprint tag and manual tag

Jump to solution

Hi Heroes,

My customer is asking me this question:

There has 2 files: A B, A has app-based content fingerprinting tag; file B has manual classification tag.

Then, if we transfer A, B via Web Post | Outlook Email | USB, will the tag still persists or tag loss?

To me, the answer is the tag for file A is lost, because the content fingerprinting tag is stored in memory and NTFS Extended Attributes, it's not embedded into the file; for file B is the tag is still there, because manual tag is embedded into the file and it wont be lost when we transfer the file.

Is my understanding correct? thanks in advance...!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Corey-DLP
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: HDLP content fingerprint tag and manual tag

Jump to solution

Hello and thank you for posting here!

Based on your examples, I believe your understanding is correct. Manual Classifications are embedded into the metadata of the file which allows the classification to be persistent across systems. Content Fingerprinting on the other hand is stored in memory on the system where the DLP Agent is installed. One instance where the Content Fingerprint can be retained on a file is when the "Content Fingerprinting for Outlook" option is enabled in the Windows Client Configuration policy (found in the Content Tracking section). This allows the Content Fingerprint to be restored on email attachments on the recipient machine as long as they have the DLP Outlook Add-in enabled.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Corey-DLP
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

Hello and thank you for posting here!

Based on your examples, I believe your understanding is correct. Manual Classifications are embedded into the metadata of the file which allows the classification to be persistent across systems. Content Fingerprinting on the other hand is stored in memory on the system where the DLP Agent is installed. One instance where the Content Fingerprint can be retained on a file is when the "Content Fingerprinting for Outlook" option is enabled in the Windows Client Configuration policy (found in the Content Tracking section). This allows the Content Fingerprint to be restored on email attachments on the recipient machine as long as they have the DLP Outlook Add-in enabled.

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

Perfect thanks!!! @Corey-DLP 

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community