Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mpak
Level 9

HDLP 9.1 and Windows 7 Snipping tool

Hello!

We discovered some interesting thing.

For example. We have some documents that marked with special tag (DenyAll).

Also we have some correctly working protection rules which blocks all standart operations (print screen, e-mail sending, web posting, printing, copy+paste)  with documents that marked with tag DenyAll.

Windows 7 has built-in utility Sniping tool that also allows to capture screen shot, snip of any object on your screen, and then annotate, save, or share the image.

If we try to make sreen shot  of open document that marked with tag DenyAll by pressing PrintScreen key on keyboard we get notification message from HDLP about blocking this operation. It's ok.

Now we use Sniping tool to make screenshot and save results to graphic file. File, that we created, doesn't have any tags and we can do with it whatever we like.

WTF???

How we can block this actions?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
pankajs
Level 9

Re: HDLP 9.1 and Windows 7 Snipping tool

can you tell me more about sniping tool with print screen.

you can block this application by HDLP rule & simultaneously apply print scrren block rule on same system.

0 Kudos
smalldog
Level 12

Hi Pankajs, what should i do to protect users with snipping tool? I have same problems. Thanks!

0 Kudos
tonyw
Level 12

Print screen rules assign DLP to the prtscr key within Windows and monitors when a person is trying to "Print Screen", preventing this operation.

The snipping tool is a built in application allowing the ability to use the mouse to capture the screen output without using the key.

To disable the Windows built in app, I would suggest a GPO or similar to remove as referenced in the following.

http://www.group-policy.com/ref/policy/2647/Do_not_allow_Snipping_Tool_to_run

0 Kudos
smalldog
Level 12

This is not feasible because of system users can use many applications similar to snipping tool.

0 Kudos
SafeBoot
Level 21

Maybe you should consider Application Control, to prevent your users from installing these rogue applications?

0 Kudos
rbarboza
Level 7

Hi everyone,  i believe that solution maybe is to block the snipping tool with access protection rule the antivirus in user defined rule

Block

Snippingtool.exe

0 Kudos