cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email protection - DLP Prevent vs DLP Endpoint

Dear Community,

Hope you can clarfy my confusion.

When it comes to email protection what is the difference or advantage of DLP Prevent over DLP endpoint.

I can create email protection rules using DLP endpoint. Why would I use DLP prevent appliances ?

I can only think of one scenario when DLP agent is not installed on the endpoint . Then DLP Prevent make sense as does not relay on the agent. Is there anything apart of that adventage?

2 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Email protection - DLP Prevent vs DLP Endpoint

If you want to extend DLP to corporate email on a mobile device or want to monitor for webmail such as in O365 Outlook, OWA, etc, I don't believe the DLP Endpoint can be effective with those vectors, perhaps someone with more knowledge can correct me if I'm wrong. 

Re: Email protection - DLP Prevent vs DLP Endpoint

Hello,

You can monitor OWA and similar applications via DLP Endpoint - Web Protection Rule cover this webmail vector.

I did several use case with DLP Prevent for Example.

1) Combination McAfee Web Gateway (Reverse Proxy) and DLP Prevent -> scanning data, which users want to copying out of company. (If you have internal Sharepoint on public ip etc.)

2) DLP Prevent and Microsoft Exchange Active Sync -> If you want monitor mail traffic from cell phones etc.

3) DLP Prevent and Skype for Bussiness -> Skype is really complicated application and you can monitor traffic just using DLP Prevent.

Best regards,

Pavel

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community