Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Device Control 9.1 functionality question

Hi All,

Just a quick query if I may on the wording in the Device Control Data sheet. We are licensed for Device Control only, The data sheet for Device Control states the following :

Device Control provides extremely granular control

over your sensitive data. Specify which devices

can and cannot be used. Define what data can

and cannot be copied onto allowed devices. And

restrict users from copying data from specific

locations, such as a file server that stores propriety

information, and from certain applications,

such as an accounting program that generates

confidential reports.

I was under the impression that Device Control on it's own could not control WHERE a user copys data from (File Server), what is copied and what applications it's copied from? I though you needed full blown DLP.

Am I wrong ? If not, where in the Device Control policy would such info be set ?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Level 9

Re: Device Control 9.1 functionality question

Hi Superhoop,

If you are using device control (Host DLP), you can monitor / block file copying from a source to destination based on tagging rules but that would be very basic. Device control is mainly used to control plug and play devices (blocking them for example).

Hope that helps. Do wait for other members to answer.

0 Kudos
Level 12

Re: Device Control 9.1 functionality question

Device control is meant for Removable storage and Plug and Play device control.  You can specify to disable, monitor, make read only on these devices.

Full Host DLP will allow the additional functions of Network communication control, File system control, Email, etc with full content tracking.

0 Kudos