cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
naterutland
Level 7

DLP altering file written to DVD / md5sum does not match

Getting very frustrated.  I have a vmware image built on a network that I have to use dvd to port the image over where it needs to go.  Each time, the md5sum changes when written to dvd with dlp running.  The first time I did this, I had filesystem errors in the image so I started doing md5sum to check.  As soon as I write the file to dvd, md5sum does not match.

Does anyone have any information on this?  I have tried to zip the files up and break them apart to be smaller.

Any information on this would be GREATLY appreciated.  One power of vmware is being able to move an image of a host anywhere.  Unfortunately dvd is my only solution right now where I work.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
McAfee Employee

Re: DLP altering file written to DVD / md5sum does not match

It sounds like DLP is inspecting the file when written to DVD.  You may want to try whitelisting the application process that is writing the image and see if that fixes it.  You might be able to be more granular with it but hard to say without knowing what version of DLP you have and/or what protection rules are enabled.

naterutland
Level 7

We were able to DISABLE DLP on a machine here and burn the vmware images successfully.  MD5 sums matched perfectly.  DLP is most certainly screwing up these files.  I've told my coworkers to no longer trust any DVDs burned with DLP running on them (which is all unfortunately).

0 Kudos
j58574748
Level 7

If you are using classification tagging, one of the methods used to tag the file itself can change the hash of the file, because the tag modifies metadata properties of the file.

There is a way to select which methods are used for tagging content in the DLP client configuration policy.  Try disabling the "

0 Kudos