cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLP Screen Capture Protection

Hi Team,

I'm testing DLP Screen Capture rule, i have created below rules to block screen capture of Aadhaar & PAN card, however it's not getting blocked. 

As per below KB, Screen capture rule doesn't trigger for content classification, it triggers only for content fingerprinting. I have created fingerprinting criteria as well & tested. Still it's not working.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB85939 

scp 6.pngscp 5.pngscp 4.pngscp 3.pngscp 2.pngscp.png

Kindly help me out.

Thanks & Regards

Nageshwara S

4 Replies
jsubbura
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: DLP Screen Capture Protection

Hi @Nagesh-123 ,

Thank you for writing in here.

Thats a good explanation 🙂 thank you for providing all detailed screenshots to get a quick help, it was easy to identify whats going wrong with these. 

First I would like to explain about the Application Fingerprinting concept,

Assume you have an application called notepad.exe, it is used to create text documents and other files like batch,etc.

Application Fingerprinting means, when an application creates files we(DLP) creates signatures (or so called fingerprints) and these fingerprints are then mapped to the Classification ID (Every Classification created will have a classification ID).

You can ask me a question as of when the fingerprints are created exactly,

Answer: during the save operation of the file using an Application, DLP creates fingerprints and maps it with the classification ID.

So Application Fingerprinting means creating fingerprints when the file is saved using the application specified in the Application Fingerprinting Classification. 

In your case you are trying to specify the application as lighshot.exe and snippingtool.exe, however these are the apps you used to take screenshots with.

I have recorded a video without audio, which shows the Application fingerprinting for the application  notepad.exe and i have created a file using the notepad.exe in the client machine and it has got fingerprinted. Now when i open this .txt fingerprinted file using any other application as well and try to take a screenshot, DLP will block the screen capture as per my rule.

[video]

If you find this post as a solution, kindly accept it as a solution so that other members in community can find it useful.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee

Hi Jithendran,

As you're aware Content Classification isn't supported on SCP rule, however to achieve this on Content Fingerprinting, how can it be done.

Kindly Explain.

Thanks & Regards

Nageshwara S

jsubbura
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

Hi @Nagesh-123 ,

Question: As you're aware Content Classification isn't supported on SCP rule 

Answer:  Yes it is not

Question: however to achieve this on Content Fingerprinting, how can it be done.

Answer: Shown in Video and already explained in the above post.

Thank you.

Regards,
Jithendran S
McAfee Employee

I am not able to view the video you have posted as indicated. Please assist that I can view it as well. I have screen capture fingerprinting rules problems as well and I would like to understand what is the correct way to configure the rule. 

Thanx Jaconette de Kock

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community