Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aido
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

DLP Outlook Add-in analysing messages in Outbox

Hi recently upgraded our DLP to 11.6.0.762. I am running Office 2016 on a windows 10 1909. Everything was working fine until the DLP upgrade. some users were saying their emails were hanging trying to send messages.  And due to the nature of the correspondence and the importance of the users involved we simply removed the client and everything worked fine. It has started happening on my machine now. and one common thing I have noticed is on closing outlook all those affected were getting the following Pop Up message:

"You have messages in your outbox waiting to be analysed by McAfee DLP. If you exit now they won't be analysed until the next time you start outlook" it gives the following options then to "Exit and Analyse Later" or "Do not Exit".

Have clicked on "do not Exit " and left it at least 15 minutes. Outbox is empty last email sent has sent and been received successfully and still the message pops up when I go to close outlook. When I proceed to exit and analyse later the issue we can run into Outlook hanging when we send emails - but not always. Anyone else seen similar or have an opinion on this?

12 Replies
Corey-DLP
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 13

Re: DLP Outlook Add-in analysing messages in Outbox

Hello and thank you for posting here!

We have had a few reports of similar issues which is currently being investigated by our DLP engineering team. As a follow up question, do you have the Outlook Background Processing feature enabled? This can be found in the Windows Client Configuration policy under Email Protection. This feature is new to 11.6. When enabled, it creates a hidden folder in Outlook which is meant for temporary storage when DLP scans outbound emails. This replaces the old behavior where emails were scanned prior to being sent to the outbox which sometimes caused performance issues when large attachments were present. 

We are also experiencing the same issue after upgrading the DLP agent to 5.6.6 version. We notice the DlpOutbox folder is showing when we try to move emails to other folders. When we checked, there is no such folder exist in our outlook.

We tested moving a sample email to this DlpOutbox folder but later we couldn't find the email anywhere in the outlook. 

I have raised SR <4-21617210421> with support team to troubleshoot the issue

DlpOutbox.JPG

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 4 of 13

Good Morning @Satish_Talatam

Thank you for posting here. 

As my colleague had mentioned this is a new feature relating to DLP 11.6. The email will appear in the "DLPOutbox" folder whilst the email and attachments are scanned by DLP for sensitive content.

You can view the hidden DLPOutbox folder by enabling the following registry key on the endpoint machine then restarting Outlook:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\McAfee\DLP\Agent\Debug]
"DlpOutboxVisible"=dword:00000001

If the installed Office/Outlook is 64bit, the above key should also be added to the WOW6432Node:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\McAfee\DLP\Agent\Debug]
"DlpOutboxVisible"=dword:00000001

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,
Kirk Nevard
Technical Support Engineer
Customer Success Group

p-svibek
Level 9
Message 5 of 13

Hi,

I have a similar issue. I need to release an emails from the DLP Outbox automaticaly after the emails were scanned. My customers have an emails in the DLP Outbox few days and they are still notified via pop-up about persist scanning.

Best Regards,

Pavel

Hi @Former Member 

Is there a way to disable the feature? We would like to get the emails analyzed in Inbox folder instead of analyzing in Dlpoutbox folder.  

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 7 of 13

Good Afternoon @Satish_Talatam 

This issue is currently being investigated by our DLP Engineering team, we will be releasing  an RTS build very soon which will help manage the issue you're experiencing. If you would like to receive the RTS build, please do not hesitate to mention this in your Service Request. In the mean time as a work around please try the following: 

Policy catalog > Windows Client Configuration > Edit the policy applied to your endpoints > Email Protection > disable background scanning. 

To receive updates when a build is made GA, please subscribe to our SNS: https://support.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/supportportal/pages_tools/toolsSNS. 

Juris
Level 7
Message 8 of 13

Hello,

We have same issue upgraded our DLP to 11.6.0.762. More and more clients gets message:
"You have messages in your outbox waiting to be analysed by McAfee DLP. If you exit now they won't be analysed until the next time you start outlook"

We tired to enable and disable "Outlook Background Processing feature" but result is same.

Also i could not find mentioned workaround. There is no setting named "disable background scanning" in:
Policy catalog > Windows Client Configuration > Edit the policy applied to your endpoints > Email Protection

Can you please specify workaround?

Regards.
Juris

aido
Level 8
Message 9 of 13

Looked at the DATA Loss Prevention 11.6 > Windows Client Configuration > Default Client Configuration 

The Enable Background Processing option was, and is, unticked . 

So that is neither the problem nor a solution

gawlakpk
Level 8
Message 10 of 13

Hi Kirk ,

Do you know if the next version of HDLP will solve the problem in question? When can it appear in the production version?

Regards

Pawel Kaminski

STINET

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community