When launching the DLP Monitor I get the following error: "Failed connecting to 'http://localhost:<port>/DLPWCF/MonitorWCFService'." After the path is corrected to the dns name the logs will populate but once the browser is closed and reopened the path has to be corrected again.
I found 2 local file in my 'c:\program files (x86)\McAfee\DLP\Management Tools' folder that have the pointer to 'localhost' (Monitor.dll.config and ManagementConsole.dll.config), but evidently the necessary change can't be saved into that file (it always gives an 'in use' error).
I have uninstalled the Management Tools program from add/remove programs in Windows, cleared browser cache and let the program reinstall upon launch into the DLP Monitor tool... but after correcting the path again, the change still doesn't save (if IE is closed and reopened).
Has anyone had any luck in correcting this issue? Or does anyone have any suggestions?
what WAAG did you selec while installing WCF?
Are trying to access remotely via ePO console or from local server pc?
Q: what WAAG did you selec while installing WCF?
A: I do have an AD group that I specified during installation for WCF service - i'm still in that group.
Q: Are trying to access remotely via ePO console or from local server pc?
A: i'm accessing ePO remotely - via my W7 workstation.
Resolution: I started tinkering with it again and it looks like I've got it to stick for now... you have to push the DLP Policy in order to retain the value.
on a side note - it seems like this might be a bug if it happens to other people... since it could be that users with limited rights wouldn't have the ability to write the change (push policy).
Thanks for the reply Alex.
Just try this,
open DLP policy >tools>options>under Connection settings>change Local host with FQDN or ip of your server, test the connection settings,Save and try accessing Monitor again.
Great,I believe you can access.Please comment so other could also solve their issue like this one.