Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ZachS
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 1

DLP Classification for Source Code C# Sharp

Apologies for the title, I wanted as many people to be able to find this through the search bar. On to the good stuff.

McAfee has some built in programming languages to detect source code through DLP.

They didn't have C# so I created a classification for it to save people time.

I'll provide the steps to do this. This can be done for McAfee ePO or Mvision ePO.

Go to Classifications on ePO.

On the Classification tab, expand IT Security and duplicate Source Code.

Click on the copy and rename it to differentiate between the built in and the one we are creating. All of the built in programming languages will still be available, we are only adding C# as another language option.

On the copy we've created, under Automatic Classification>Source Code Keywords select Edit.

Click on the ellipsis icon "..." next to the Source Codes.

On the pop up window, select New Item at the bottom.

Name it Source Code C Sharp. We want to avoid special characters in naming conventions on ePO. It can cause problems as it has in my experience.

At the bottom of the page select Import Entries. This is where you'll select the file I have uploaded named "C Sharp.csv." Be careful not to edit and save the file, it may mess up the way the data is saved and when you try to upload to ePO it will not read the data properly. 

Select Save

On the pop up window scroll down to the newly created item labelled Source Code C Sharp and select it. Set the threshold to 50. Click Ok.

On the Classification page, click Save.

You should be brought back to the starting page for Classifications.

Select the Definitions tab. Expand Data and select File Extension.

Duplicate Source Code. Edit the copy.

Rename the File Extension definition to something other than Source Code 1.

At the bottom, Under Name put "C Sharp Source Code"

Under Extension put "CS"  Click Add. Click Save.

Go to the Classification tab.

Select your duplicate source code classification, under Automatic Classification>Source Code Keywords and File Extension select Edit.

Under File Information select the ellipsis and select the newly created file extension definition that you hopefully didn't leave named "Source Code 1"

Under Dictionary, select the ellipsis icon and select Source Code C Sharp, set Threshold to 35. Click Ok

Click Save.

You have just added C# into your programming languages that McAfee DLP can now monitor.

I hope this helps some people, if it does leave a comment or thumbs up!

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community