cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DLP - Block Webcam and Mic Rule

Hey,

we are using EPO 5.10 and DLP 11.2 

I need to configure a rule that will block the webcam and the microphones on all of my laptops. but I can't find a way to do that, maybe someone has already done that? 

5 Replies
McAfee Employee Mreaden
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: DLP - Block Webcam and Mic Rule

Anton_Sysec,

You will first need to gather information about the devices, such as, serial number or VID/PID information from the Device Manager.
Once you have the information, you can go into the DLP Policy Manager under Device Templates. Select Actions, New Item, and Plug and Play Device Template.
Name the Definition and select, for example, USB (VID\PID). Enter the information about the device gathered from the Device Manager.

Once the definition is created, you can then go to the Policy Manager and create new Rule set.
Once the new Rule set is created, click on Device Control tab and click on Actions, New Rule, Plug and Play Device Rule.
Under the condition tab, click on the grey box with 3 dots and select the definition that you created above.
Click on Reaction tab and set Action to Block.

Save and apply policy to desired endpoints.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

McAfee Employee Mreaden
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 6

Anton_Sysec,

You will first need to gather information about the devices, such as, serial number or VID/PID information from the Device Manager.
Once you have the information, you can go into the DLP Policy Manager under Device Templates. Select Actions, New Item, and Plug and Play Device Template.
Name the Definition and select, for example, USB (VID\PID). Enter the information about the device gathered from the Device Manager.

Once the definition is created, you can then go to the Policy Manager and create new Rule set.
Once the new Rule set is created, click on Device Control tab and click on Actions, New Rule, Plug and Play Device Rule.
Under the condition tab, click on the grey box with 3 dots and select the definition that you created above.
Click on Reaction tab and set Action to Block.

Save and apply policy to desired endpoints.

I hope this helps.

Thanks

I need to block the build in microphones and webcams of the laptops, there is no easier way doing it? 

McAfee Employee Mreaden
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

In order to disable the devices using DLP you will still need to gather the information from the Device Manager related to the devices in question and create policies to block those devices. 

However, from a Windows Standpoint, you can go into the Device Manager and simply disable the driver.

In the Device Manager, locate the device in question, Right click and select Disable. 

Thanks

From deivce Manager he know how to block 

he want block the microphone with mcafee dlp 

the microphone use driver of the sound card high definition audio device 

and if he block the sound card the microphone block but also the speakers becaue this saem card

how he cant block just the microphone with out speakers?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community