cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blocking file uploads with DLP 11.3 in IE/Edge

Hello,

I have just installing the latest DLP Extension and Endpoint 11.3 and tested the ability to block file uploads in Chrome since there was an issue with previous versions, and that seemed to have worked like a charm. However, as soon as I started testing the same rule in IE (version 11) and Edge, the behaviour was totally unexpected. Blocking file uploads worked fine for the most common web mail and cloud services, however as soon as I started testing file sharing sites, there was no reaction from the DLP Endpoint. For example, I was able to upload any files to wetranfer.com using IE/Edge, whilst Chrome was blocking them all. I tried other file sharing sites, especially those that allow to share files anonymously and the reaction in IE/Edge was the same. At this point I am not sure if there is another limitation with the DLP software, an issue with IE/Edge or if most of those websites are cleverly designed to bypass DLP policies. Has anyone come across to this issue yet? 

Thanks

5 Replies
McAfee Employee Mreaden
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Blocking file uploads with DLP 11.3 in IE/Edge

Linuxxo,

I was unable to reproduce the issue you are seeing. 

Could you confirm that your Windows  Client configuration policy has the option for Browsers checked and includes IE, Edge, Firefox, and Chrome.

Thanks

Thanks for your reply, all browsers are included in the policy

agent.png

If you were not able to reproduce the issue, then I wonder if it could be an issue with my test PC which has the following platform and browsers installed:

Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.885)

Internet Explorer 11.885.17134.0

Edge 42.17134.1.0

I will try test the same Policy/Rule Set on other PCs and update this thread.

I have done few more tests on a newly built PC and the issue was the same, with IE/Edge not blocking file uploads. I have tested ten different file uploads websites with all browsers, and out of ten different ones, IE/Edge managed to block just one, whilst Chrome managed to block them all.

McAfee Employee Mreaden
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

LInuxxo,

Please contact support and open a Service Request for more detailed troubleshooting.

Thanks

Highlighted
dfos23
Level 8
Message 6 of 6

Also,  please report back here as to what Support uncovers.  The community wants to know.

Thanks!

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community