cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Best way to exclude custom MS Office templates

Hello,

I have a dozens of MS Office templates (mainly Excel ones) that are used for sales quotations. The templates are then filled in before being sent out to customers. As requirement, I will need to ensure that files created using those templates, are not being blocked when sent out by email. Any suggestions on what would be the quickest way to achieve that?

Many thanks in advance.

7 Replies
McAfee Employee DLP_RS
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Re: Best way to exclude custom MS Office templates

I would suggest using Application based Content Fingerprinting and select Application as MS Office.

Use case: Application-based fingerprinting

You can classify content as sensitive according to the application that produced it.

In some cases, content can be classified as sensitive by the application that produces it. An example is top-secret military maps. These are JPEG files, typically produced by a specific US Air Force GIS application. By selecting this application in the fingerprinting criteria definition, all JPEG files produced by the application are tagged as sensitive. JPEG files produced by other applications are not tagged.

Task

1. In McAfee ePO, select Menu  Data Protection  Classification.
  2. On the Definitions tab, select Application Template, then select Actions  New.
  3. Enter a name, for example GIS Application, and optional description. Using one or more properties from the Available Properties list, define the GIS application. ClickSave.
  4. On the Classification tab, click New Classification, and enter a name, for example, GIS application, and optional definition. Click OK.
  5. Select Actions  New Content Fingerprinting Criteria  Application.
    The applications fingerprinting criteria page opens.
  6. In the Name field, enter a name for the tag, for example GIS tag.
  7. In the Applications field, select the GIS application created in step 1.
  8. From the Available Properties  File Conditions list, select True File Type. In theValue field, select Graphic files [built-in].
    The built-in definition includes JPEG, as well as other graphic file types. By selecting an application as well as a file type, only JPEG files produced by the application are included in the classification.
  9. Click Save, then select Actions  Save Classification.

Results

The classification is ready to be used in protection rules.

Thanks for your reply. From what I understand, the solution seems to apply to all MS Office documents. Perhaps I should have clarified that I only want to exclude certain MS Office documents that have been created using specific templates. All other MS Office documents, either created from scratch or from other templates, will need to be checked and blocked if required.

The content classification criteria seems to be the most suitable option, but since I have hundreds of different templates, I was looking for a quick way to create those custom classifications.

McAfee Employee DLP_RS
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

We certainly need to check for the common parameters\properties of these templates if we need to separate them from rest of the templates.

Do you have any other common parameter apart from MS office\Excel templates? 

The documents do not have any file properties assigned, only the content within the document is almost unique. The document is then edited, information are added to it, but as they are being sent out by emails to customers, the DLP detect sensitive content and prevent the user from sending it.

McAfee Employee DLP_RS
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

If there is no match for Data conditions or File conditions, then the only option I can think of is to use Registered Documents.

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately enough information to better understand the document registration feature of the DLP. What happens when the file is uploaded and added to a Classification? And what happens if the if the document is modified? For example, adding customer's details to the document, prices, additional notes, etc.

McAfee Employee DLP_RS
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator