cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple IPhone

Hi all,

I wonder if someone might know the answer to this.

We have a customer that requires total lockdown on all USB devices. I have created all the rules and everything is working as expected. All USB devices are blocked including Iphones, Blackberrys etc. However the customer has come back to us asking the question whether it is possible to allow IPhones to charge from the USB.

I have tested this internally here and as soon as the device is blocked the charging function stops. I have tried reconfiguring rules etc but the only way I can get it to charge is to mark the device as read only which the customer cannot allow.

If anyone has come across this before I would be forever greatful!

Kind Regards

Jon

8 Replies
Tristan
Level 15
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 9

Re: Apple IPhone

Not sure if there's a software way of doing it

A hardware hack would be to get a usb cable and strip out pins 2&3 leaving 1&4 connected (1&4 for power and 2&3 for data) the device would draw power but not register with the computer as a device.

Haven't look but it might be possible to buy them already made.

Highlighted

What about making them read only?

We block Iphones using a PnP Block rule and our customers are still able to charge their phone.

JoeyMc
Level 10
Message 5 of 9

We set all USB devices to read-only and exclude Ironkey by VID and a couple Apricorn by VID/PID. iPhone and Android still charge without issue.

Message was edited by: JoeyMc on 9/29/11 11:06:06 AM EDT

JoeyMC,

Do your iPhone's and Smartphones present themselves as Removable Storage Devices?  We pick most of the HTC/iPhone's up as PnP (imaging devices or network adapters) so we have to use a block rule for these.

JoeyMc
Level 10
Message 7 of 9

I use a device rule to block all but authorized (excluded) USB devices, not a protection rule.

JoeyMc
Level 10
Message 8 of 9

Sbsnwnm1,

you are right.

I didn't realize that these devices were picked up as imaging devices and not being blocked by my storage rules.

I have since made a PNP rule to block these and it does not seem to charge.

9cer
Level 7
Message 9 of 9

Hi Guys,

I'm currently evaluating McAfee HDLP device control. I still can't manage to block access to iphone. Kindly, can you give a suggestion or advice on how manage to block iphone.

Thank you and best regards

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community