Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EdB
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

whenever mcafee does something, it really sloooowwwws things down

It's frustrating.  Whenever there's a download, update, or scan I can hardly do anything.  And starting up, it takes Firefox a good 10-15 minutes to open.  I'm ready to look for alternatives.

7 Replies

Re: whenever mcafee does something, it really sloooowwwws things down

I'm having the same problem- ever since installing McAfee my computer is running very sloow- have cleaned and done everything they say to enhance the program- did not have this problem with the ATT security system.

hack
Level 7
Message 3 of 8

Hi,

Is it only at the initial stage, that your pc slows down or is it the same throughout.

You can also check if pc has met Mcafee's  requirements.

And also if you have an old/expired antivirus on the pc.

Reply me with those details and 'll help u further.

Regards,

Hack.

EdB
Level 7
Message 4 of 8

Hack,

Thanks for the reply. Will check on the things you suggested and come back with what I've found.

Thanks.

EdB
Level 7
Message 5 of 8

Hack --

In answer to your questions:

Whenever McAfee has an update, download, etc. it affects my computer so that it's barely useable.  This occurs when I start the computer and want to open Firefox and beyond.  Invariably it occurs when I start the computer so that it takes a good 15 minutes for Firefox to open.  Then it wants to scan or do something to further bog things down.  I smartened up and deferred the installation of the downloads but still you can't do anything when it's occurring.

I believe my pc meets McAffe's system requirements.  I have the standard stuff.

I don't believe I have any old anti-virus still on the system.  I only know to look at which programs are listed.

I don't know where to look specifically for this information, but I believe that's the case.

Thanks for your time.  Hope this information helps.

EdB

Don't know what version you are using but if you can tell it NOT to scan pagefile.sys in the on access or on demand mode, that may help. The other thing is if you are using a centrally managed mcafee solution, lower the amount of CPU allocated to it. Finally, if you are using any anti malware, or anti spyware software in addition to McAfee, it's bog city, especially at at startup.

I have several developers who complain about the same thing?

Is this working as designed or is there perhaps a config issue ?

ajacobs
Level 12
Message 8 of 8

I have moved this thread to our Home and Home Office area.