cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

trojan removal

I keep getting a popup box telling me my pc is at risk and that there are two threats. I clicked on delete but the wheel just keeps spinning and nothing happens. I rang the helpline and the man took a look and told me I have a trojan called Clampi - the same one that knocked out parts of the NHS last year - and that if I want it removed by their technicians it will cost me £120. As I'm already paying for McAfee's protection, I can't see how this can be right and said I wouldn't pay it. I'm a technophobe anyway and don't understand the complexities of the pc so any advice would be very welcome.

2 Replies
Highlighted
Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 3

Re: trojan removal

Re: trojan removal

Hi Hayton, and thanks for your reply. I was sceptical about it and haven't parted with any money so he didn't manage to trick me. I rang Sky and they gave me the genuine McAfee number - thankfully, they sorted the problem out for me and have passed the bogus number to their research centre, and ultimately the police. I hope no one parts with any money to these criminals.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community