cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HONEYLYN
Level 7

no welcome screen just black after uninstalling trial mcafee

hello! i'm using alienware win7 64bit and i uninstalled trial version of mcafee using add/remove, restarted after prompt, when system starts there's nothing in the screen, not even welcome screen! COMPLETELY BLACK! WHAT HAPPENED??? PLEASE HEEELLLPPPPP!!!!

0 Kudos
14 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: no welcome screen just black after uninstalling trial mcafee

HONEYLYN wrote:

hello! i'm using alienware win7 64bit and i uninstalled trial version of mcafee using add/remove, restarted after prompt, when system starts there's nothing in the screen, not even welcome screen! COMPLETELY BLACK! WHAT HAPPENED??? PLEASE HEEELLLPPPPP!!!!

Was this the Home/Consumer version of McAfee or the Enterprise/SaaS versions & if the former did you run the MCPR removal tool (linked under Useful Links above)?

Also is this a situation where you can't see your desktop at all no matter what?

Try booting to Safe Mode with Networking by tapping F8 while booting up, it's second in the menu choice.  Hopefully you'll get a screen image in that mode.

Right-click "Computer" then Properties and select Device Manager over at the left.

Locate Display Drivers and right-click and Update the drivers to see if Windows will automatically locate the correct ones.

See if that helps, if not try uninstalling the card & drivers and rebooting.  Windows should then detect the card and load drivers for you, unless you have them already downloaded and stored somewhere in which case install them yourself.

By the way there is free online Technical Support Chat available, also linked under Useful Links above.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/02/11 8:10:55 EST AM
0 Kudos
HONEYLYN
Level 7

Hi Ex_Brit,

Pressing F8 doesn't seem to do anything. My problem, is that the screen is completely black, no post messages nothing appears on the screen. I checked the monitor cables and they are plugged in correctly, I tried both ports also. The only thing I did was uninstall McAfee from add/remove programs and once I restarted I encountered this problem.

I do hear noises from the fans when my computer starts up.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

What happens if you disconnect the monitor and reboot, then plug it in?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Also are the power lights lit on the monitor?

It could be simply a coincidence that the monitor was about to fail.

0 Kudos
HONEYLYN
Level 7

i tried changing from DVI CABLE to HDMI CABLE and now i can see alien logo but won't continue to welcome screen it's telling an error but too fast wasn't able to read... ithink this is the one you called blue screen? i was able to go to safe mode, too, still figuring out what to do next...by the way, my monitor is only a  month old. THANK YOU FOR ANSWERING & PUTTING UP W/ A NEWBIE

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

OK now something is happening at least.   You can prevent that error message from disappearing by telling Windows not to reboot when it gets a BSOD (Blue or Black Screen of Death).

Do it in Safe Mode.

https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1795

Then see if you can copy down the error code and post it here.

0 Kudos
HONEYLYN
Level 7

i'm confused now...after following steps in your link, i restarted and welcome screen appeared , no error popped out! Does this mean i'm ok now or is it gonna happen again?

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Windows has a way of sometimes amazing us and repairing itself.  If it still works after a few reboots then you should be OK.   I'm not sure what fixed it though!

You may want to check for updates in drivers for your graphics card though as I have a feeling something went wrong with that.

0 Kudos
HONEYLYN
Level 7

ok, guess i'm not that lucky. says: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL....happened when i install new antivirus then restarted...

0 Kudos