cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
allertt
Level 7

mfevtps.exe slow down file operations

I use McAfee for a long time. A couple of months ago my notebook (Asus G74Sx, Intel Core i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 English (US) 64-bit with all updates) started to behave strangely. Windows Explorer took about 30 seconds to start. Small file copy, move, rename operations had taken less than a second, but after that point lasted for 5-15 seconds. I have restored my system to the “fast” state using Acronis backup, and installed every update one by one. I discovered that McAfee caused the problem. I was waiting that McAfee corrected that without complaining. However things are still the same if not worse. I thought that may be these problems happened because McAfee updated on itself for some years. Last weekend I uninstalled McAfee All Access, ran McAfee cleanup tool, manually cleaned registry of every McAfee string, deleted McAfee subfolder in Users folder. Reinstalled All Access from scratch. Not helped! Windows Explorer takes 30 seconds to start, file operations (10KB file on the same internal drive) last 5-15 seconds, after right-click on a file I’m waiting 10 seconds for menu to open, when I point at Recent in Start menu it opens after 6 seconds. But if I turn Real-Time Scanning off – everything works immediately!

I looked into Task Manager and discovered that when I perform any of the mentioned operations mfevtps.exe utilizes more than 25% of CPU. When Real-Time Scanning is off – 2%. I am no sure that mfevtps.exe makes my computer slow, but definitely McAfee Real-Time Scanning! Since recently any possibility to configure Real-Time Scanning was removed from McAfee SecurityCenter. Is there any way to make my notebook fast again?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20

Re: mfevtps.exe slow down file operations

Successfully moved from Virus and Spyware Protection to General Discussion  > Discussions

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

​,

I will ask our resident Tier 2.5 Technician/Engineer to add to this discussion. He is more knowledgable in regards to the individual McAfee processes than us Moderators.

​  Could you please address this Customer's issue?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos

Hi

Please check if you have conflicting 3rd party AV installed on your PC. Also are there multiple drives connected to the PC ?

0 Kudos
allertt
Level 7

There is no any other AV software on my notebook, except for MS Windows Defender, that I have turned off many years ago.  My notebook equipped with two internal HDDs (SATA 750MB 7200 rpm). First is used for OS and programs, second - for user files. (some more info: notebook has RAM 16GB DDR3)

0 Kudos
Peacekeeper
Level 20

I suppose another question would be what version of Mcafee have you installed ie what program and what version/build of it 14.10.r12 or R13 or 15.1.r2?

In firewall settings have you got intrusion detection enabled if so do not.

In Programs and features have you a program called Mcafee security scan?

0 Kudos
allertt
Level 7

McAfee All Access - Total Protection
v 1.1
Release 15.1 R2 
SecurityCenter
v 15.4
Bd 1.4.4031
Affld 0
Language en-us
Last update 23.04.2017 
VirusScan
v 19.1
Bd 19.1.2108
Last update 23.04.2017
Engine v 2961.0
Engine creation date 26.04.2017 
Personal Firewall
v 16.0
Bd 16.0.4006
Last update 23.04.2017 

In firewall settings intrusion detection is enabled, level High.
After your advice disabled it, set to Basic - had no effect. 

In Programs and features (It is in Control Panel I assume) I have McAfee All Access - Total Protection.

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

*Intrusion Detection* is basically off by Default. As it in itself can have alot of False positives. If you had it enabled and set to 'High', that indeed can affect your system performance. I have had mine off for the last 2 years.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos
allertt
Level 7

OK. Set "Intrusion Detection" OFF completely.
0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Monitor and let us know if that makes a difference please

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos