cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mcupdmgr.exe reboot without notice

Jump to solution

I was hapilly computer away, gaming actually when everything shut down and my computer rebooted.  After looking through the event log I notice that mcupdmgr.exe caused the reboot, will include the message from log at the end, but I would like to know if this is "normal" and I can be free from concern about malware.  There was no warning that it was going to shut down, it just happened.  It's the first time that it happened and I haven't noticed any other strange behavior.

-----------------

The process mcupdmgr.exe has initiated the restart of computer GAMING1 on behalf of user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM for the following reason: Other (Unplanned)

Reason Code: 0x0

Shutdown Type: restart

Comment:

-----------------

Thanks

Joe

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: mcupdmgr.exe reboot without notice

Jump to solution

I would assume Mcafee just updated your version to 11.6 or at least the patch for the internet connection issue arrived. It started to be delivered to US users yesterday and a restart is required.

I would not worry just monitor it.

8 Replies

Jump to solution

I would assume Mcafee just updated your version to 11.6 or at least the patch for the internet connection issue arrived. It started to be delivered to US users yesterday and a restart is required.

I would not worry just monitor it.

Jump to solution

Thanks, I was mostly worried because there was no warning at all.  I think this is the first time I've ever seen it reboot with no warning.
I did open up the antivirus plus window and checked the updates tap and it confirmed that the update was done at about the same time as the reboot.

Jump to solution

They must have a delay that then restarts if no action will check this myself next restart required.

Hayton
Level 18
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 9

Jump to solution

If a reboot is required to complete changes then it would make sense for there to be a timeout period. What that period is I don't know, what it should be is probably open to debate, but Microsoft have the same thing - after a requires-restart update you can only leave the machine running for a certain amount of time before Windows kicks in and declares that it's about to shut down and you can't do anything about it. It happened to me once. Perhaps McAfee should put up a similar warning message before it does the restart, so you can finish what you're doing and/or log out of email, games, whatever.

tribs
Level 7
Message 6 of 9

Jump to solution

I had a similar issue thismorning and I think a few days back it had reboted automatically.

unfortunately for me I was remoted into my a server and running some huge processes which was interrupted.

how do I stop this from happening ?.

Jump to solution

If you open up AV+ and click on the updates tab, then click on settings, you can select "Download updates, but notify me before installing" It should help. I haven't had a problem since I checked that option.

Be warned, though, that it updates often, so you'll be clicking "install" at least once or twice a day.

I didn't know that AV+ got that many updates LOL.

Jump to solution

There are several updates around that need a restart and Mcafee will make its own mind up and reboot if you said no to a restart. My son in law saw it 2 days ago and at the wrong time. So the suggestion re changing the update process will work just do not forget to update it.

Hayton
Level 18
Message 9 of 9

Jump to solution

Locking this thread, since it's classed as Answered, to prevent further thread hijacking.