Thank you to the people who have taken time to respond.
I received a phone from a McAfee representative who said he would not tell me the functions of these processes, but would email information. The follow-up email basicaally was a generic cut-and-paste of the descriptions of these processes, as if I had conducted an Internet search--which I did before I ever posted here. So that was a waste of time and resources.
He furthered offered to help me or call back, but timing is unpredictble as I serve clients from home and they are my priority. I guess the next thing was to about to be to suggest another reinstall...
If I have to uninstall and reinstall McAfee again, then I will just uninstall and go do business with someone else. I am not a big fan of the service at this point, and their secrecy in answering a very simple question makes me more suspect. It's not the way to build trust with your customers.
Who in the world would know to go to the AU server, if you hadn't wandered by here? This is very frustrating...
The Au server has the new version but as Au is a small market they get a small number of installs so if an issue no major impact. This version is the 1 I have been testing for 6 mths so stable and worth a thought. Au server always gets 1st update releases for the above reason. Lucky aren't we?
When you uninstalled did you use teh windows removal program and follow it by the MCPR removal tool? It is just that I have never seen mcupdate cause such an issue in 10 years an a mod here. At least never noticed it.
Could I hook on to this thread with a related problem, since McAfee in Bangladesh is being difficult?
Since updating this week that required a computer restart, both my computers, XP, one Home and one Professional, spew out a Microsoft message, "McAfee Update Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close."
This turns out, I've noticed, to be a reference to mcupdate.exe (and I do not have the Windows Media Center feature that uses the same name for updating). When I click "send error report" or "do not send", it is mcupdate.exe that closes. As long as the MC control panel is open (I check everytime I recover my computers from hibernation for MC updates, clean them once a week and restart), this message occurs, at a guess, three times.
MC support yesterday first did an uninstall and reinstall that came apart as a result, I think, of the remote technician changing my connection settings in IE8 (I watched "Prakash Nair" check the "automatically detect settings" box under LAN--I don't know why). Ten minutes later, as the reinstallation was proceeding, internet connection was lost. I restored the computer to two days earlier and tried again. This time, Sarath (?) was doing all kinds of fiddling, and ended up scheduling an escallation appointment, a two-hour block which is about to expire without word from MC.
I'd imagine a supervisor decided this is not a security problem. Odd that it affected both computers after this "restart required" update.
I gather I want mcupdate.exe functional in case I forget to manually check for updates. I had one of these computers lose its MC protection for months last year in my failing to understand how MSN manages its MC relationship, and once restored, no contagion was found. But better safe than sorry, or it's just a habit by now. Too expensive to experiment. (For what it's worth, I vaguely recall the "mcupdate.exe running CPU" problem a few years ago afflicted me, and no idea how it was resolved then. I've learned to focus on "mcupdmger.exe", and had decided mcupdate.exe was not MC.)
I've spotted the suggestion to use the MC consumer products removal tool in an removal and reinstallation (I'm not going to say "uninstall" any more). Any thoughts or encouragement? Thanks.
The escalation call can miss the time slot when another earlier call goes over time. Sometimes these guys go way beyond the call of duty and thus miss the call slot. If no solution in a day post back and I will get a teir 2.5 tech to contact you and look into the issue.
The phone call came an hour or two after the scheduled time, and the message indicated another try tomorrow. I regret no precise time was given. Since this does seem to be a minor problem, and I am a "two-bit" customer, I'm pretty happy. Thank you both. Your two replies, despite their differing conclusions about this corporate presence, reassure me in a more general sense. And speaking of preconceptions, I had one about tech people (I jumped to the conclusion this operation is in Bangladesh), where they dutifully act out the playbook. These two who tried to help me yesterday really went to town, a bit wildly, but aggressively. I don't doubt that higher management is somewhat hidebound ("the fish rots from the head down" is the old military aphorism and we should know). As the motto of my old National Guard unit reminds me, we shall struggle on. Essayons. I guess that's the Army engineer's motto. My unit motto was "to the last man". Good old American designed-in confusion. Our gift to the world.
What solved this for me ultimately was to uninstall/remove McAfee and start using Avast. I have been happy as a clam. No issues whatsoever.
God bless the moderators, but McAfee is clueless when it comes to reasonability as to what a customer has to do to use and maintain its software.