cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
69gto
Level 7

installing updates on shutdown issue

Hi, i have 2 computers that are both running windows xp but service pack 2(i read somewhere that there was a problem but for service pack 3). Anyways my updates never went past installing update 2 of 11 and every time when i used my computer mcafee would continually pop up saying a suspious script was running and i finally got tired of seeing it so i clicked stop this script. the next day after doing that my computer would go to the screen where you pick a user and instantly show a blue screen saying bad_pool_caller and would never go past there no matter which mode i start my computer in. since this computer wasnt working i switched to my identical other computer and used the wireless card so that it has access to the internet. that night(a week later since my incident) i had the same installation problem when i shut it down. the following day i started getting the same message so before shutting down or stopping the script i did some reading and found that updating mcafee could fix it. i did that and have not had a problem since. the problem is my other computer i cannot get started up to fix so what should i do?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
k3tg
Level 14

Re: installing updates on shutdown issue

Are you able to boot the other computer in Safe Mode?

0 Kudos
69gto
Level 7

the other computer never had to be booted in safe mode. i just updated mcafee and stopped getting the suspicous script detection error. it was a winsystem32 file that it stopped on my computer that wont boot up and was the same file on the other computer

0 Kudos
McAfee Employee

What are the specs on the 2 computers which have been affected?

I just found this:

"A kernel-mode process or driver incorrectly attempted to perform memory operations. Typically, a faulty driver or buggy software causes this."

Can you give me more details from the BSOD screen? If you can, snap a picture of it and attach it. I can use the details on the screen to try and narrow things down.

Message was edited by: Somer Pyron on 6/21/10 9:53:33 AM CDT
Somer L. Pyron
Knowledge Analyst
ServicePortal: support.mcafee.com
Web: www.mcafee.com
0 Kudos