cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 16

i'm scared .. please can you help ..Total protection ..unable to activate product key

Jump to solution

Hi... I am hoping that someone can help.. 

I have 1 year old laptop and have had McAfee Total Protection installed since I bought it... it  has just over a month to run and tonight I tried to add/ activate a new product key code but I received a message that the  product key is fine /redeemed but it is unable to activate. I don't very much about computers etc so I contacted the Technical service dept via chat and was advised someone would call me back.. I got a callback and the agent accessed my laptop and said I had to purchase a programme ( AOI..i think !!)  at a cost of nearly £200 to sort the issue... does this sound right?? I currently have a McAfee total protection running on my laptop... but I am now really scared there is something seriously wrong with my computer... especially as the agent was insisting that he would install this expensive programme right now and I could pay for it later... Please can someone help, I don''t know what to do... I purchased McAfee because they guaranteed to keep my computer safe..now i'm really scared .. thank you in advance for any help you can provide . 

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: i'm scared .. please can you help ..Total protection ..unable to activate product key

Jump to solution

If it was McAfee they would have given you an SR number. If so post it here so the mods can check..

This number will enable the mods to lookup what was offered . Really extending a subscription would not require buying anything bar the new subscription.

Re what to run getsusp and put your email in the preferences so you can be updated on anything found.. Also malwarebytes worth a go but uninstall after running unless you can figure how to disable its real time scanning as this might clash with McAfee on the next scan.

Both legit

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Re: i'm scared .. please can you help ..Total protection ..unable to activate product key

Jump to solution

Re True key best to post in its own forum ask Marcd he is on the development team for true key. Sorry I do not use it.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 16

Jump to solution

hello,

glad to see that all looks fine now for the moment.

i have not installed Truekey myself and don't use it for the moment.

on a regular bases there are reviews on pcmag.com for security suites like McAfee Total Protection where the author of the article explains how for example Truekey is setup and is working.

also the Truekey section in this community is maybe of interest like Peacekeeper suggested.

15 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

The correct McAfee support is here

Call McAfee support 

This sounds as if you chatted with  paid support firm ( found by Google maybe) they always try to charge you and  £200 is ridiculous.

They will assist you and will help you check that you have nothing bad installed.

Also you can safely scan with these free programs

Anti-Spyware-Malware-Hijacker-Tools 

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 3 of 16

Jump to solution

hi.. thank you.. but I believe it was someone from McAfee that I spoke to as I contacted them via the chat option on the McAfee page... and he accessed my computer via a link they sent to me.  I know i'm probably over reacting but I am oldie and don't much about computers and he has really frightened me.. in case there is something seriously wrong.  I have a McAfee total protection programme running  on my laptop at present with just over a month left on it... so that is why I didn't understand why there was a problem with the new product key code I bought as the current one  appears to be running ok and I can click on it to run scans etc. …. 

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 4 of 16

Jump to solution
I have read the link you were kind enough to attach but i'm not sure which one I should click on ..can you advise me which one you think is best for me to try please. thank you
Highlighted

Jump to solution

If it was McAfee they would have given you an SR number. If so post it here so the mods can check..

This number will enable the mods to lookup what was offered . Really extending a subscription would not require buying anything bar the new subscription.

Re what to run getsusp and put your email in the preferences so you can be updated on anything found.. Also malwarebytes worth a go but uninstall after running unless you can figure how to disable its real time scanning as this might clash with McAfee on the next scan.

Both legit

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 16

Jump to solution

hello,

maybe this can help also;

if you click on the McAfee red icon and open Total Protection startingpage.

on this starting page there is above a tab with the name My Info.

on the My Info page you can click for assistance from McAfee and will be driected to a valid support website you can trust.

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 7 of 16

Jump to solution

you have been so helpful. I will certainly do this.. I appreciate you help so much... thank goodness for people like yourselves, who willing share you knowledge to help others.. Thank you so much 

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 8 of 16

Jump to solution

I think you maybe right that it wasn't McAfee I "spoke" to as I didn't get any number... j
he just sent a link through the chat section which they used to access my computer and then told me I had to buy the expensive programme.. I have spent most of the morning trying to change all my passwords etc.. Thank you so much you have been so helpful. I truly appreciate your help and your willingness to share your experience and knowledge.I will certainly run the getsup programme link you were kind enough to supply and see what happens .. A huge thank you

Highlighted

Jump to solution

One thing to remember is if he installed a keylogger changing passwords will only show him your new 1s. Run those programs and a couple more from the list first as well as McAfee. Then if all clear change things.

To check use the McAfee contact I gave or that cyberdude showed you and ask if they had contact with you. Se vice calls to McAfee usually ,at least when I did then a while back, sent a follow up email with the SR number.

Good luck

Highlighted
Level 8
Message 10 of 16

Jump to solution

hi peacekeeper … I managed to download and run a couple fo the programmes suggested. ( getsusp and  Malwarebytes ) both say there was nothing found... and I even figured out how to removed them again) I cannot tell you and cyberdude how grateful I am for all your help and advice...you have no idea how much you have helped me and I will never be able to thank you both enough..

I will again change all my passwords just for the peace of mind now that the scans are completed and appear to be showing as safe/ nothing detected or found. 

Can I ask you one more question please?   My mcAfee says I have truekey.. is this worth using/ is it more secure than me logging into sites on my own... I just don't know enough about computers to make a decision on this  but I really would appreciate your opinion .. thank you 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community