cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SHUBYDO61
Level 7

annoy popup warnings

can anybody help me for the past week i have been getting these annoying popup warnings. they come up in either a red or yellow border. the yellow border wasrning is " potentially annoying download detected" and you can either continue download or block it. it does not matter which i choose because in 2 minutes it comes back up. this started last week right after i shut down and restarted my computer after i was told to by McAfee due to an update needing a restart. everytime i get these popup warnings my connection freezes for several seconds. the only annoying download is this inseped warning.

i am running McAfee Total Protection 2010. all of my updates are current.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Dinz
Level 16

Re: annoy popup warnings

Hi there,

Could you plese let us know whether these pop ups ar from McAfee or do they have any title embedded ?

If possible attach a screen shot for the same which will help us to proceed in a right way.

Regards,

Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

0 Kudos
SHUBYDO61
Level 7

sorry about the delay but with the ppop ups I have to use a friends computer to send these since i am even getting these popo ups when I go to Mcafee's web sight. the first 2 screen shots are from a web sight that i have been going to for about ten years the other two are from my IP's web page.

it is kind of strange that i am getting them from these sights and not from a couple of sights that are known for questionable activity.

0 Kudos
Aldrin
Level 12

Looks like the alert message is from McAfee Site Advisor, can you try to uninstall Site Advisor from the control panel reboot the computer and reinstall it.

Check if the issue persist and update us on the status

0 Kudos
SHUBYDO61
Level 7

by using the control panel do you mean add/remove programs? if so the only McAfee programs i have on this page is the entire program.

i do not have just the site advisor listed on the remove listings. if it helps i am running XP pro with share pack 3 as my operating system.

0 Kudos
SHUBYDO61
Level 7

Ok i uninstalled Mcafee completely, restarted the computer, then reinstalled Mcafee. About 5 minutes after McAfee was reinstalled the pop ups started again. this is getting very annoying. i can see why people are leaving McAfee and going to other more stable anti virus programs.

0 Kudos
jaymfe
Level 12

Shubydo,

I apologize for the inconvenience. May I know the version of Site Advisor installed on your computer? Did you enabled “Warn me before I download files from suspicious site”?

SA.JPG

Please click on the link and follow the steps.

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101144

0 Kudos
SHUBYDO61
Level 7

i am not sure which version of site advisor i have.

it does not matter what my protection settings are. i have tried all of them with and without checking  the warn me box. the only way for me to get rid of these **** pop ups is to just leave site advisor uninstalled.

the service link is for either windows vista or windows 7. i am running windows XP w/sp3 and windows explorer 6.

0 Kudos
newjack
Level 12

There should be a black arrow next to the Mcafee secure rectangle.Open your browser click arrow and then click about.That will give you the version #

0 Kudos
SHUBYDO61
Level 7

i deleted site advisor from my system so i do not have a version installed. but the security center version is 10.5 build 10.5.227

the virus scan version is 14.5 build 14.5.130 DAT version 6301 Eng 5400.1158  firewall version 11.5 build 11.5.141  spam version 11.5 build 11.5.141  eng version 2.2.0.9149

if any of this helps

0 Kudos