cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

after McAfee update media extender disconnects

Hey All,

After I rebooted my computer for a McAffee Ant-viruus suite (from Cox) software update, My Ceton Windows Media Extender will now randomly disconnects,

After looking in the event log I have found the following (BTW i fix computers for a living at a schoold district)

Event 109 Media Center Extender :

An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Center with file name 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe', could not retrieve the window title.

The same event appears about a second later then a new event appears

Event 123, Media Center Exender

The Media Center Extender session was terminated because an unauthorized window opened in the session.

McAfee, please re-write your code, otherwise your product will be uninstalled

in another (independant) forum a user had the same issue uninstalled McAfee and the issues stopped and had the same error message as me

Thanks

18 Replies
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 19

Re: after McAfee update media extender disconnects

The only way to get this fixed is to tell the developers as they do not read this forum. The best way is to call support and tell them and to escalate the issue. That will get you a job number which you can reference and also get the issue on their radar. I will also pass this up the line.

Oh can you post your version number please for Mcafee security centre

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 13/11/13 3:50:06 PM

I've got the same problem. Started in late August 2013 or September 2013.

The XBOX extender disconnects every 3 1/2 minutes or so. Three messages appear in the same series each time.

Event ID: 109 - An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Center with file name 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe', could not retrieve the window title.

Event ID: 109 - An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Center with file name 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe', could not retrieve the window title.

Event ID: 123 - The Media Center Extender session was terminated because an unauthorized window opened in the session.

followed by a pause and "The Media Center Extender session was established", then the entire scenario repeats. Will go on for what seems like hours...

I've rebuilt the PC.

Removed every non-essential application. And then found the Event Viewer.

6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

64 bit.

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 19

As I mentioned above  call support they need to know this and to log a job number we here cannot assist unfortunately.

http://service.mcafee.com/TechSupportHome.aspx?lc=1033&sg=TS

Reliable Contributor Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 19

There's a thread about this on the WindowsSeven forums. Our original poster was on that one too.

http://www.sevenforums.com/media-center/310442-media-center-extender-disconnecting.html

There's a post in there which says the fix is to do the following -

1. Disable Mcafee Vulnerability Scanner

2. Disable McAfee Access Protection

3. Turn off NetGuard.

Now ... this looks like a bit of wild guesswork and a lucky strike rolled up together. (1) and (2) should not affect things at all. (3) though, that might be the one. So turn off NetGuard (in Firewall settings) and see if that works.

mcuicnt.exe, by the way, is the McAfee User Interface container module. Basically, it's the Security Center window.

Update from my Dec 9, 2013 7:29 PM report

I called McAfee Tech Support in early December. Over 2-3 weeks we worked thru McAfee Customer Support (uninstalled / reinstalled software, etc), Tech Level 1 & 2 (who collected many: logs; dumps; and screen shots, during controlled tests). Everything was turned over to McAfee development.

Temporarily, I’m running with: Navigation \ Settings \ General Settings and Alerts \ Use Access Protection \ turned off. The Xbox connector to Media Center is working OK.

The two messages below do not have anything to do with the extender disconnect as they continued after the problem went away (with Access Protection turned off).

Event ID: 109 - An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Centerwith file name 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe',could not retrieve the window title.

Event ID: 109 - An unauthorized window was detected while running Windows Media Centerwith file name 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McUICnt.exe',could not retrieve the window title.

tribs
Level 7
Message 7 of 19

turning off "Access Protection", did not work for me.

turning off vul scan as suggested before didn't work either.

any other suggestions?.

tribs
Level 7
Message 8 of 19

here is how it is currently working.

after it kept disconnecting. I turned off Firewall for 15 minutes, so far after more than 45 minutes it is still on.

Moderator selvan
Message 9 of 19

Hi tribs,

It seems that you have a different issue where turning AP off doesn't help. I would suggest you try the below workaround and check if that helps..!

Goto the manufacturer of Media Extender (Xbox 360) and find the default IP (range if available) of the same. Open McAfee UI > Web Email Protection > Firewall Settings > My Network Connections > Add > Input the IP here and set the type to Home. Click Apply and close the UI.

Reconnect the Media Extender and check if issue persists..!

tribs
Level 7
Message 10 of 19

all we are doing is hit and miss.

it didn't work. it even made it worse now I cannot connect to xbox. reverted the changes turned off Firewall and then it connects for a while, less than a minute and disconnects...I must have spend over a week now trying to make McAfee work

I know the fix...but will have to wait until tomorrow morning