cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
japanat
Level 7

Windows Vista 32bit sp2, black screen with pointer after trying to uninstall McAfee

Hello.

I tried to install McAfee with 30 days eval.
Then I tried to uninstall it.

And here came the problem.

After rebooting right after the uninstall procedure, Windows Vista 32 bit sp2 get just a black screen with the mouse pointer and I can't do anything.

ctrl+alt+del and ctrl+esc don't work, safe mode ain't helping either, that means i get black screen+pointer as well with no interactivity.

I tried everything (or so I guess) I found on the internet, log folder, checked the rpc thing on the registry (and it was already ok), checked every possibility, all to no avail.

I tried last known good configuration also, but it didn't work, I tried to get the oldest "SOFTWARE, SAM, SYSTEM, etc." backup files under system32\config, still to no avail.
I wonder what this software made to my computer to mess up my logon configuration.

Can anybody help me, please?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
exbrit
Level 21

Re: Windows Vista 32bit sp2, black screen with pointer after trying to uninstall McAfee

Vista is not officially supported any more as it's a defunct operating system.

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode.  On mine that would be pressing F8 repeatedly at the "Post" screen.

If you can accomplish that then you could attempt to use System Restore (Win key + R, type in rstrui and hit Enter) to wind back the clock to before all this started.

If not Technical Support wont help as you are using an unsupported system so best post on a forum specializing in Vista.

Here's one that is excellent - run by a Microsoft MVP:  Vista Support Forums

0 Kudos
japanat
Level 7

Re: Windows Vista 32bit sp2, black screen with pointer after trying to uninstall McAfee

As i already wrote: "safe mode ain't helping either, that means i get black screen+pointer as well with no interactivity"
Thanks for suggesting me that forum, I'll give it a try.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Good luck ;-)

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Last thought, did you try "Last known good configuration" - it's one of the menu choices when you have the Safe Mode log-in options on-screen.

0 Kudos
japanat
Level 7

Thanks.
"I tried last known good configuration also, but it didn't work, I tried to get the oldest "SOFTWARE, SAM, SYSTEM, etc." backup files under system32\config, still to no avail."

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

Oh what a shame.  I hope you can retrieve the system intact.  That forum is pretty good so best of luck ;-)

0 Kudos
catdaddy
Level 20

Discussion successfully moved from Service and Support to General Discussion

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
0 Kudos