cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Notification Alert for new McAfee version (false positive)

I have run McAfee Total Protection for years and I renew my subscription every year.

well for the last week or so Notification Alert (windows 10 ) pops up and says there is a new version of McAfee Anti-Virus and Spyware protection.

well I manually ran updates this morning & it showed I had the latest updates for Total Protection.

McAfee Total Protection is a better program than McAfee Anti-Virus and Spyware,,  does more things.

so if my Total Protection is fully updated why is Windows 10 telling me to install another program ???

because it has the words Anti-Virus in the name ???

I don't want to disable Notification Alerts because other than this false positive about McAfee I get Notifications

from other programs

6 Replies

Re: Windows 10 Notification Alert for new McAfee version (false positive)

Check your Control Panel and see if you inadvertently Installed 'McAfee Security Scan Plus' if indeed this is the case, please uninstall as it is only a Marketing Tool. As long as your McAfee UI states 'Your computer is Secure' all should be okay.

Moved to Consumer > General Discussion > Discussions for better assistance.

All the Best,

CD

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

I checked --only McAfee Total Protection and McAfee Web Adviser are listed in Control Panel.

the pop-up is just annoying,,  comes up 2 or 3 times a day

I have never had any kind of Virus problems running Total Protection  and I don't want to change to Windows Defender

to make Microsoft happy.

The Pop-ups you are receiving, are they from your 'Windows Action Center' or is it a 'McAfee Prompt?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

Could you kindly perhaps provide us a 'Screenshot' of the actual 'Pop Ups' ?

Also did you attempt rebooting as Colleague Ex_Brit suggested?

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 7

Have you tried rebooting?  It could be coming from one of two things, a) WebAdvisor may have a new version which wont come into force without a reboot or b) take a look in Control Panel > Programs and Features to make sure you haven't inadvertently installed a Sales feature called McAfee Security Scan Plus.  If so uninstall that.

You could also try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds and fixes anything:  https://mvt.mcafee.com/

Also make sure your system clock is accurate.

I ran the Virtual Technician--gave me a green bill of health for my Total Protection.....

I guess this just another glitch with Windows 10 //// Microsoft wanting U to use their anti-virus software.

has anybody else had a similar problem with pop-ups while running McAfee on windows 10 ???