cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will McAfee Interfere With a XAMPP (Apache) Testing Server?

Will McAfee interfere with my XAMPP (Apache) server? It's a testing server on my C drive. The whole computer is not a dedicated server at all. It is just another application installed in it. It utilizes port 80. The https://localhost/ web pages stopped showing up in my browser even though the server is running and reports no errors. One suggested possibility (at stackoverflow.com) might be that something is blocking my server from using port 80. Because it was working fine until I installed McAfee, I cannot help but wonder if McAfee might be interfering in some way because it interprets the server behavior as a threat. It is, however, just a local, testing server so it does not serve live websites.

1 Reply

Re: Will McAfee Interfere With a XAMPP (Apache) Testing Server?

Running Xampp with various virtual hosts on my PC.

All fine until I installed MacAfee Livesafe - now they do not work.

I cannot ping them or reach them via a browser.

Turning firewall on/off makes no difference.

Netstat shows that Apache httpd.exe is correctly listening on port 80 and so on.

So I can only conclude that Livesafe is blocking something - but what?

Unless I can find a solution quickly I am going to have to uninstall MacAfee and ask for my money back as guarding against something that may happen (a virus) is less of an issue than not being able to work on my systems - I'm a web developer!

I'm surprised and disappointed that there is no response here from MacAfee to the initial post.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community