cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is McAfee real time scanning off, ? If I click 'Turn On' it only stays on for 1 second, then off again.

Why is McAfee real time scanning off, ? If I click 'Turn On' it only stays on for 1 second, then off again.

6 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Re: Why is McAfee real time scanning off, ? If I click 'Turn On' it only stays on for 1 second, then off again.

Have you done a hard reboot lately (close Windows, power off then back on and resatart Windows, NOT Sleep or Hibernate)?

That often fixes many issues, & try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds fault and fixes it.

https://mvt.mcafee.com/

Re: Why is McAfee real time scanning off, ? If I click 'Turn On' it only stays on for 1 second, then off again.

I also wonder if you have remnants of another scanner present. Did you have 1 installed before you installed Mcafee and not remove it via its own uninstaller?

Did trying those suggestions resolve your issue?

Try going to your Control Panel/Programs and Features/Uninstall/Restart.

Then run the McAfee MCPR Tool to remove any remnants/Restart if asked.

Go to your account and download/reinstall.

Let us know if that solves your problem please.

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer

I have tried hard reboot, turned computer totally off overnight then restarted it next morning. I do have more than one anti virus company, McAfee, PC Matic and the free version pf Avast.

That would affect Mcafee if 2 or 3 are active at the same time. they clash. If 2 only used as manual scanners not so much of an issue but if any have real time scanning or its equivalent active you may have issues.

exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 7

Also PCMatic is nothing more than a registry cleaner and they are almost as bad as having a virus.  They invariably delete more than they should.

Your McAfee is not functioning as it should for the reasons you have listed, PCMatic use and having more than 1 anti-virus installed as PK has mentioned.

See this for some advice: