cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does McAfee always, and I mean ALWAYS slow down my PC?

Dell XPS 420 (all stock, nothing modded)

Windows Vista Home Premium

SP 2

32 Bit

Intel Core 2 Quad

[Make all the wise@$$ remarks you want about Dell, but this machine processes loads of DSP and audio without glitching even a tiny bit]

I use my computer for Web Design, Audio Production, and daily tasks such as web surfing; mostly to look up stuff that has to do with music marketing or newsie sites.  I rarely download anything, and it's even more rare, if even ever, that I open and run files without scanning them with McAfee. 

After this last go round of the 420 snail, which is still on going, I decided to check MBAM and see if maybe I had an infected computer, and nothing. 

That leaves only one suspect - McAfee.  It's been the same problem, over and over since approximately 2006 when I had a boat anchor HP that was slow enough without any help with McAfee.  Every computer I have ran with McAfee has eventually ended up running way too slow.

Now, this problem is my first of it's nature: it started a scheduled scan, hung up at 5%, and it will not let me cancel the scan or end the process, but it will let me surf the net at such slow speeds that by the time a news site loads, I'm reading ancient history instead of breaking news...  (My internet connection is alright on every other device in the house)

So, what's the problem?  Why did McAfee hang up?  Why won't it let me cancel the scan?  Why is it that my PC always has issues with McAfee even with stock settings?

As far as I'm concerned, the Shredder and Scanner are worth keeping the whole software suite, but only if I can have a fast machine.

19 Replies
catdaddy
Level 20
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 20

Re: Why does McAfee always, and I mean ALWAYS slow down my PC?

You may try the following work-Around..VirusScan stops scanning at 98% or 99% complete

Please post back your results.

All the best,

Catdaddy

McAfee Volunteer Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
exbrit
Level 21
Message 3 of 20

Moved this to General Discussion.   I too have Vista SP2 but mine's 64-bit and I don't notice slowness here at all.   There are many reasons why it could be causing it.  Low memory could be one, huge amount of emails in Inboxes could be another (the Anti-Spam and Anti-Virus scan that frequently) - answer to that is move them to sub-folders.  Other active security programs can also contribute (MBAM Pro's active protection perhaps?) also Spybot has caused issues, the list goes on.

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it finds an fixes anything:  http://mvt.mcafee.com/

If that doesn't help the best approach would be to have Technical Support take a look.  It's free of charge by phone or online chat and linked below.

Toronto ▪ Canada
Volunteer Moderator - Consumer Products
I CAN'T HELP PRIVATELY - PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS
Use Advanced Search To Find Answers

Consumer Technical Support (alter Country @ top right as needed)

Consumer Customer Service (Accounts, Billing, Registration, etc.)

How To Uninstall/Reinstall McAfee Consumer Products EXCEPT Anti-Theft
How To Submit A False Detection To McAfee
Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
Anti-Spyware/Malware/Hijacker Tools

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 20

P.S. forgot to add that the inability to stop a scan in progress when it's at certain stages is by design as files could be corrupted if the scan is stopped.  Probably because it's in the process of unzipping a folder but there could be other reasons.

It's the full scan.

I've read that MBAM "can" cause problems, but the two have been running side by side for over a year with no issue, if in fact an update caused a problem, that would mean McAfee circumvented the restrictions to unallow the program unlimited internet access...

The scan hung on, of all files, C:\\Windows\Temp\SecurityScan_Release.exe\6.nsis

Honestly, if this is what's to be expected, I'll just stick with the trusty MBAM.  (free, you can't beat that)

The sub is to Total Protection

Ex_Brit wrote:

P.S. forgot to add that the inability to stop a scan in progress when it's at certain stages is by design as files could be corrupted if the scan is stopped.  Probably because it's in the process of unzipping a folder but there could be other reasons.

So, McAfee has priority over admin?

exbrit
Level 21
Message 7 of 20

Yes in that instance it does.   BTW I forgot to also ask what version of Internet Explorer you have installed.  McAfee uses it even if you don't so make sure it's IE9.

C:\\Windows\Temp\SecurityScan_Release.exe\6.nsis indicates to me that you may have inadvertently installed McAfee Security Scan Plus which is an optional extra with such things as Adobe Reader, Flash etc. etc. and can easily be overlooked in the installation or update processes.  If that's the case it will be listed in Control Panel > Programs where you can uninstall it - it constantly scans to see if you have adequate coverage and then will try to sell you something, that could easily be the culprit here so get rid of it.

exbrit
Level 21
Message 8 of 20

P.S. Also look for Norton Security Scan which is a similar unwanted and un-needed 'optional' extra with some downloads.  Uninstall if found.

Ex_Brit wrote:

Yes in that instance it does.   BTW I forgot to also ask what version of Internet Explorer you have installed.  McAfee uses it even if you don't so make sure it's IE9.

C:\\Windows\Temp\SecurityScan_Release.exe\6.nsis indicates to me that you may have inadvertently installed McAfee Security Scan Plus which is an optional extra with such things as Adobe Reader, Flash etc. etc. and can easily be overlooked in the installation or update processes.  If that's the case it will be listed in Control Panel > Programs where you can uninstall it - it constantly scans to see if you have adequate coverage and then will try to sell you something, that could easily be the culprit here so get rid of it.

I do Web Design, I have IE 0 - 1,000...  and many others...

McAfee doesn't have access to the net unless I click an OK button, and I haven't been prompted to allow permissions...  Nothing on my PC is "auto". 

The only thing I saw in Control Panel was Site Adviser and Total Protection.  Security Scan Plus was neither mentioned individually, or was it mentioned as anything else, but the file in the Windows Temp folder is being removed also. 

exbrit
Level 21
Message 10 of 20

raggedriches wrote:

Ex_Brit wrote:

I do Web Design, I have IE 0 - 1,000...  and many others...

McAfee doesn't have access to the net unless I click an OK button, and I haven't been prompted to allow permissions...  Nothing on my PC is "auto".

The only thing I saw in Control Panel was Site Adviser and Total Protection.  Security Scan Plus was neither mentioned individually, or was it mentioned as anything else, but the file in the Windows Temp folder is being removed also.

IE0-1000?   You must install IE9 and it must be updated and at default settings for McAfee to function properly. Also you must allow access to the Internet at all times for the software to update, it checks every few minutes.