cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nirvanbd
Level 7

Whether to install Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool or not

Hi,

I purchased a dell PC few days back. It has been preinstalled with McAfee Security. As per the windows recommendations, I run the windows update center in order to bring my pc up-to-date. It has listed 2 updates, one of which is given below.

"Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool x64 - November 2010 (KB890830)  Download size: 11.7 MB".

Since I have McAfee security already installed on my pc, do I need this tool to be intalled on my PC.

regards,

Nirvan.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Hayton
Level 18

Re: Whether to install Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool or not

According to Microsoft the MSRT is compatible with AV programs as it is a post-infection Stinger removal tool.

More information is available on these two pages from Microsoft

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/890830

It seems you get it by default along with all the other Microsoft updates. I assume I've got it on my machine but it's never given any indication of conflicting with McAfee, so I guess it's up to you whether to keep it. I don't see any reason to reject it though.

0 Kudos
nirvanbd
Level 7

Hayton,

Thanks for sharing the info.

regards,

Nirvan.

0 Kudos
exbrit
Level 21

I too have never seen a conflict with McAfee.  The MRT even found something bad on my system once, many moons ago.

It's a security download that arrives in an updated version every 'Update Tuesday' (2nd Tuesday of each month) so you'll see it monthly.

You'll also notice that it takes a while to install, that's because it does a scan of your system before settling in.

It's good so don't worry about it.

;-)

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 06/12/10 10:24:46 CST AM
0 Kudos
Aldrin
Level 12

That’s right, there should be no issues with MSRT and McAfee, go ahead….

0 Kudos