cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vos undefined ruined my computer!! Please help!

I recently installed mcafee plus virus protection but when i tried to run a scan it displayed [__VOSs undefined 5 times. I read through multiple discussions on this topic and when i installed mcafee virtual tech it stated that i needed to restart my computer to address the problem. I no longer access the internet and it apears that mcafee uninstalled itself and I now have no way of reinstalling it. Can someone please help!!!!

I use a Windows Vista and use Internet Explorer 7

my mcafee virtual tech is 39615717

4 Replies
exbrit
Level 21
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Vos undefined ruined my computer!! Please help!

Try rebooting into Safe Mode by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and then invoking System Restore either by going to it in the Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools or go to Start > Run and type in rstrui.exe and click OK or the Enter key, or simply type rstrui in the Start > Search box and selecting it from the box above.

Go back to before this happened but if successful don't forget to update both Windows and McAfee.

This should be Vista SP2 and your Internet Explorer should be upgraded to version 9 a.s.a.p. once this problem is sorted out.   If you don't have SP2 then read here: https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2019

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 21/06/12 4:20:28 EDT PM

K this helped but now when I scan it tells me that mcafee has to restart to update to adress a type of virus, but when it restarts my computer wont start up. Can you help me with this?

exbrit
Level 21
Message 4 of 5

Then the System Restore wasn't successful.  Is there another restore point, earlier perhaps?

Hayton
Level 18
Message 5 of 5

See this thread where someone else reported the same problem. That user had a corrupted McAfee installation and you probably have the same. You'll need to re-install McAfee, following the instructions Ex_Brit gave there.

If you encounter difficulties during the start-up process your PC may have another problem unrelated to this one. Can you get into Safe Mode with Networking? Try doing the uninstall/reinstall from there.