cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Vista Security 2011 Virus

Jump to solution

This Fixit  was not able to be completed/installed/whatever.  I think this may be because I have XP with service pack 2 and you might need service pack 3.  The Microsoft help page said that in order to install service pack 3 you have to have a 32 bit something, and there was something to click on to determine whether you had 32 or 64 bits.  But when I clicked on it, a box came up with a whole lot of information, but I did not see where it said either 32 or 64.  It seems odd that Windows wouldn't have installed service pack 3 if I needed it, since it must have done service pack 2 (I know I didn't install it).

Jump to solution

Your machine probably came with SP2 as you would certainly have notice SP2 installing, it took hours as it is huge, even on my fast machine.

SP3 is less painful and is installable easy enough, just disable VirusScan.   All is explained here including links to free Microsoft support:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2007

You should do that a.s.a.p. as your machine is way out of date, has to be because support for XP SP2 and under stopped in July 2010, so your missing lots of security updates, no wonder there are issues.

There have been many updates since SP3.

See this for details:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-1315

I don't know why you missed SP3 but it may be because you at some stage refused it and told Windows to hide it in future.

Jump to solution

Hi,

kindly follow the steps to remove it.

Go to safe mode or safe mode with networking to stop the process of spyware activity
Take the backup of whole registry to avoid any serious problems
Go to start menu>Run> type folder options>enable hidden files
Then go to the following location

XP:
c:\documents and settings\%user profile%\Application data\<random 3 letters>.exe
Vista or Win 7:
c:\users\%user profile%\AppData\Local\<random 3 letters>.exe

Deleted the above mentioned file
Then go to registry

NOte: If you problems in going to registry, Go to Start Menu>Run>type Command to get command prompt

Then type registry.exe in the command windows which will prompt you that

Change:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe "(Default)" = 'secfile'
to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.exe "(Default)" = 'exefile'

Change:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "%UserProfile%\Local Settings\Application Data\<random 3 letters>.exe
to
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command "(Default)" = "%1" %*

Restart the computer to the normal mode
Then the issue must be fixed

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community