Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Reliable Contributor Peacekeeper
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 11 of 23

Re: Vista Security 2011 Virus

Jump to solution

Try the suggested link I posted it suggests using Malwarebytes maybe you have another program loaded that stiger did not detect.

Again you have to use the usb path and I suggest renamong the setup file and installed folder to stop malware recognising the MWB install.

Oh on the bleeping computer page ignore the sales pitch at the top.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 4/04/11 6:53:00 AM
Reliable Contributor exbrit
Reliable Contributor
Message 12 of 23

Jump to solution

McAFee SecurityCenter only works partially in Safe Mode so real-time scanning remains off in that mode FYI.  You can still initiate a scan by going to Computer (My Computer in XP) and right-clicking the drive.

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking, which is the 2nd choice on that menu.  That will hopefully allow internet access.

Download, update and run a full scan using the FREE version of THIS tool.  let it remove everything and reboot when asked to, if it asks, in order to remove whatever it finds.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 03/04/11 5:17:02 EDT PM

Jump to solution

Hi,

I had the Vista Security virus and used the stinger tool and it seems to have gotten rid of it.  The problem now is I can't open up exe. files.  I can't open my Quickbooks file and need to resolve this as soon as possible.  Any help would be appreciated.

Reliable Contributor
Message 14 of 23

Jump to solution

Jump to solution

Thank you soooo much. Problem solved.  Now I can get back to work.

Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 23

Jump to solution

That's great.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

I had this virus in Windows XP - I couldn't get on the internet and kept getting messages about XP Home Security.  McAfee fixed it, because suddenly an update popped up and told me to restart my computer, and now I can get on the internet, but nothing in the bottom taskbar works now.  75% of the little icons on the bottom right are gone, the time is wrong and it won't let me change it, and the quicklauch icons on the bottom left won't work either.  What should I do?  (I know very little about fixing computers, so make it plain, please)

Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 23

Jump to solution

It means you probably still have the infection.  Follow the imsttructions here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-internet-security-2011

Jump to solution

I finally got around to trying those directions, and they worked- thank you!  My only problem now is that Windows Automatic Updates seems to have been turned off and I can't turn it back on.  The box for automatic updates is checked in Control Panel, but when I click on the icon on the taskbar, it says it has been turned off, that they can't turn it on from there, and that I should change it in Control Panel (but I can't.)

Reliable Contributor
Message 20 of 23

Jump to solution

You have XP right?   Try the 'Fixit' lower down this page: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community